What Would You have Named Yourself...?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/12/17 3:36 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

What a powerful story Kat. So many valuable people are destroyed (in this case literally) by violence!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

catwoman7
on 3/12/17 8:08 am
RNY on 06/03/15

what a horribly sad ending to that story. Tragic.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Pokemom
on 3/16/17 11:31 am
RNY on 12/29/14

What a sad story. What an admirable young woman, even to her death. I hope her son is able to have the life she hoped for him. Good for you for keeping her memory alive.

peachpie
on 3/11/17 12:19 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I like my name- but don't know the history of how I got it.

I have one requirement in choosing a name for myself. I DETEST nicknames. You know how Joshua become Josh, Michael is Mike... etc. there is nothing that makes my blood boil more then someone attempting to call me 'Shaun'. In fact- I tried to name my kids so that you can't derive those common nicknames from their name. (The older boy is a junior, so we had to give him 'A.J.' for our own sanity of knowing who we were referring to).

I like names that have meaning or tradition In a family. So I imagine the name I'd pick for myself would be the one I have reserved if I ever had a girl, Lorna. But I'm DONE having kids!!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/11/17 1:38 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't care for nicknames, either.

I really detest meeting someone and introducing myself as Kathryn -- and immediately the person begins to call me Kathy.

Um, no.

That's not my name.

I do go by Kat though -- but that fits me, I suppose.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Miss Liss
on 3/13/17 8:22 am

My daughter's name is Catherine. We call her Catherine or sometimes Cat.

She was almost Cathy thanks to a daycare teacher who took it upon herself to decide Cathy was a good name for her. There is nothing wrong with the name Cathy, but it is not what we named her or called her. That aggravated me so bad. We had a long talk with that teacher and thankfully Cathy didn't stick. She is mostly Catherine to us and her friends. We sometimes call her Cat. We will see kids that went to daycare with her every now and then and they will call her Cathy thanks to that daycare teacher. Ugh!! She sets them straight though real fast. Ha.

Not fond of nicknames.

My name is Melissa and it would **** my mom off when people would shorten it to Missy. Nope, not my name. LOL.

catwoman7
on 3/16/17 3:30 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

that happens to me all the time. My given name is Patricia, and people are constantly shortening it to "Pat". ARRRGGGGHHHH! Not that there's anything wrong with that name, but it's not my name and never has been. It drives me out of my mind!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/11/17 5:25 pm

i knew a woman who also disliked nicknames and, in the search for a name that couldn't be made into one, settled on "Wayne." She herself ended up often calling her little boy "Waynie."

pammieanne
on 3/13/17 7:44 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I introduce myself as Pamela... almost every time I get responded to with Pam... and while I've curbed the intensity, simply because having a Realtor you just met bite your head off over it, I do regularly correct people, especially on the phone. DRIVES ME BONKERS!!!

If I like you, and you call me Pam, chances are I'll never correct you... although, if you're my friend, you already know better LOL

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Pokemom
on 3/16/17 11:57 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I kind of like nicknames--like pet names from those you love. My dad had loads of pet names for my mom, and I thought it was very sweet. However, I agree that I don't like other people changing my kids' names!

My husband's last name is one syllable. And he is Rick (shortened from Richard). He HATED having a one syllable first name and a one syllable last name. His middle name is also one syllable. So, his top priority for our kids' names was that they could not be shortened to one syllable nicknames. We were pretty successful with that, but it took lots of work!

In college, some roommates started calling me a pet name--one syllable from my first name, and I loved it. It felt playful and sassy and warm. But my husband never calls me any pet names. Probably from his frustration with his own name growing up!