What are your favorite self-care/soothing activities and products since WLS?

Pokemom
on 3/9/17 4:48 pm, edited 3/9/17 4:49 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Hi! With my recent Achilles tendon surgery, I have been "babying" my legs and feet with lotions since they are taking a real beating. It has made me reflect on self-soothing and body care and how that has been different for me since WLS.

Before WLS, sure, I would use lotions, and I did have a few massages and pedicures here and there, but over all, I don't think I really ever pampered my skin or other aspects of my body--I think I was trying to avoid thinking too much about my body.

Post-WLS, I am still working on NOT soothing myself with food. I am working on YES to other kinds of soothing.

Post-WLS, just like we are all trying new clothing and styling, I wondered if you, like me, are also trying out new ways of caring for my body. It feels very nourishing to care for my skin.

What are some of your favorite self-care, soothing activities and products? (Not asking about exercise in this thread! I know that's a big one. But guys! Achilles tendon surgery and all.)

Here are some of my favorites:

• Herbal teas (admittedly a mouth thing)
  • Guided imagery/affirmations recordings by Belleruth Naparstek
  • Jacuzzi tub baths with essential oils and bath salt
  • Avon brand Foot Works intensive callus cream (with peppermint)
  • DHC brand Olive Body Butter (I swear this is the most heavenly stuff, tho expensive!)
  • DHC brand lip balm

Happy smoothing and soothing!

peachpie
on 3/9/17 6:16 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I've made an effort in skin care recently too. On my legs/arms I use whatever bath and. Body work scented lotion I'm in the mood for for the day-- I have quiet a collection. On my feet/hands I use a Aveda hand/foot therapy- pricey but worth it.

I just got into a facial skin care routine. I love nutrogena products. I use a wash, toner and moisturizer by them.

And then there is make up... my #1 self soothing hobby.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Teena D.
on 3/10/17 7:25 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I too have really gotten in to skin care since surgery. I love the Jergens Shower moisturizer- That's not the proper name but you put it on when your skin is still wet. I've also been using a Melaleuca cleanser and serum on my face with a Body Shop Moisturizer. When I came back to work last weeek, I got as many compliments about my skin as my weight loss. lol.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Pokemom
on 3/10/17 8:09 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Yes! It really feels nice to pamper a bit. In the shower, I have been trying a skin scrub once/week.

Pokemom
on 3/10/17 8:08 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I will have to try Neutrogena face products. I really like DHC brand--but they can get expensive. I do love the Neutrogena hand cream. Where I live, it is very very dry, epecially in the winter, and normal lotions seem to make things worse. I am also a violinist, and in the winter, my fingers crack and bleed--except with the Neutrogena hand cream--it is the only one I have found that does the job.

I have never been much of a makeup wearer, even when I was young. I have super sensitive skin, including rosacea in my eyes. I had good coloring, and a "no nonsense" mom. As I'm aging, though, I'm fading! I am trying to use good skin care products so that my "natural" looks good. But I sure would appreciate any advice on makeup to try.

Rachel B.
on 3/10/17 11:41 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

What is DHC?

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Pokemom
on 3/10/17 4:23 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

DHC is a brand of skin care products. I think it is a Japanese company. I think they are strictly a mail-order company. I really love their stuff. I have used 1-2 of their products for several years. Since WLS, I have been trying other things. They can be expensive, but they have good sales, and good promotions. If you do a search online, you will find them.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/9/17 6:40 pm
I still self-soothe with food. I had the DS because I didn't think I could change this behavior and I was right.
I like magnesium oil. It relaxes muscles naturally.
I like Epsom salt baths too (never can have too much magnesium)
Good quality hot teas

Scott
Pokemom
on 3/10/17 8:13 am
RNY on 12/29/14

What are some of your favorite teas? I drink tea all day long! Only herbal, though--for religious reasons I avoid black, green, white teas. (Sad but committed!)

I still self-soothe with food too, although I didn't have the DS, so I do have to work on not doing that. I try to think of it as a mindfulness kind of thing. I think that this oral soothing is one of the reasons I drink so much tea.

My very favorite is Teavana Citrus Lavender Sage. I never get tired of it. Hot or cold.

Rachel B.
on 3/10/17 11:47 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Berry Kiwi Colada, Almond Plum Perfection, Wild Orange Blossom, Pineapple Kona Pop, a touch of Dragonfruit Devotion(can be a little bitter) and Strawberry Lemonade. I also have another almond something. Theyve been shut up in vacuum packages for a couple years. I can't remember what it was called, but it has blueberries or something in it and has a strong amaretto scent to it.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Most Active