Calcium...were you told you have to take it forever after surgery?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/17 6:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am feeling a bit daft, so can you help me?

I take 3 Celebrate Calcium PLUS 500 tablets a day. (in addition to my other supplements, of course.) On the label, it states: Calcium (as calcium citrate) 500 mg. -- thus the three tablets are 1500 mg.

However, are you stating that I am actually only taking 325 mg since it's only 21% of that 1500 mg that is elemental?

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/10/17 4:06 am, edited 3/9/17 8:09 pm

I am not sure. That's how these companies get us. My best guess - yes. You only taking 325 mg of elemental calcium.

To be sure - contact the company and ask if the stated 500 mg is 500mg calcium citrate or 500 mg elemental calcium from calcium citrate.

Some calcium labels read - elemental calcium from XYZ. Others - are more vague...

In most cases - it it does not state "elemental calcium" you may assume it is not.

When you ask them - make sure you ask in writing.

When I first learned about that I was pissed. Since unused to take calcium citrate... And realized I was only taking app 300-400 elemental calcium. And not 1500 mg as suggested by the ASMSB.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/10/17 9:22 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Thank you friend. Writing to Celebrate right now. I will let you know what I learn.

You are a wealth of knowledge.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/10/17 9:29 am

I wrote them. They wrote back saying it is 500 elemental and citrate. so you are good.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/17 10:01 am

Don't mean to argue with you Hala .. but the way I understand it we can't absorb any elemental calcium at all .

This is the reason we take calcium citrate ( citracal) in whatever form hopefully with some vitamin D K And Magnesium attached.

Please explain

sunshinespring
on 3/9/17 6:23 pm - Bay Area, CA

thank you Penny, did you have any symptoms for the osteopenia and how is it being treated, with calcium or medicines?

and I had labs last August where it showed deficiency on vitamin D and I had bad anemia, I supplemented on vitamin D and my levels are very sloowwwly going up,

the iron I supplemented for a while and couldn't raise my levels so I had infusions and felt better right away and my iron is better not perfect but better and still working on it.

Valerie G.
on 3/9/17 2:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Vitamins are lifelong unless your labs tell you otherwise.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sunshinespring
on 3/9/17 5:37 pm - Bay Area, CA

thank you guys for all the information, I am 9 1/2 years out of surgery and I have been pretty ill from Not taking my vitamins, I had an issue a year ago that made my memory pretty bad and some things are hard to remember or retain information.

I will definitely search for a dexa scan and hopefully can get some answers to my bone joint pains, I know for sure I am deficient in vitamin D and already working on it, also doctor said I was low on calcium

I need to get diligent on all those vitamins D, K2, magnesium and all

Thank you so much for the input.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/9/17 6:42 pm
Please take your vitamins...PLEASE. Or get your surgery reversed. It really is life or death.

Scott
sunshinespring
on 3/9/17 8:23 pm - Bay Area, CA

oh yes Scott after the things I have been thru this past year I have been taking my multi, iron infusions and eating all the right stuff

don't think I can get my surgery reversed not an option, but working on getting better

Lesson learned for me

Thank you,

Most Active