Actress Gabourey Sidibe had VSG

CC C.
on 3/8/17 9:28 am, edited 3/8/17 10:05 am

She looks great! And I'm so glad she's talking about it in public.

"My surgeon said they'd cut my stomach in half. This would limit my hunger and capacity to eat. My brain chemistry would change and I'd want to eat healthier. I'll take it! My lifelong relationship with food had to change," she writes in her wise, witty and unapologetic memoir, out in May.

"The surgery wasn't the easy way out," she says. "I wasn't cheating by getting it done. I wouldn't have been able to lose as much as I've lost without it."

http://people.com/celebrity/gabourey-sidibe-weight-loss-surg ery/

Heather P.
on 3/8/17 9:54 am

I just googled to see her pics, she looks amazing.

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

heidikat72
on 3/8/17 10:16 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

Great for her for working for her overall health and having realistic expectations. And for not being afraid to publicly state she had the surgery and comment on the hard work it still involves to lose the weight. I'll be keeping an eye out for her memoir.

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/8/17 10:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

After seeing so many articles from People and similar magazines about women who're "half their size-- WITHOUT SURGERY," it's great to see this treated so positively.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

seattledeb
on 3/8/17 7:32 pm

That issue will come out every year the first week in January. Every year in People.

I happy for this actress. She does great work.

jenorama
on 3/8/17 11:39 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I'm glad she took the step and she's speaking out publicly about it. I have no doubt that this will enrage the Fat Acceptance community, but they're not the ones that were living in her body, dealing with diabetes and daily pain.

I do take issue with her saying that it would change her brain chemistry and that it would make her want to eat healthier. We ALL know that is not the case and we all struggle with what's in our heads.

I like her a lot as an actress and I have to believe that her weight was limiting her roles. It's a sad fact, but true in our society. She's taken control of her health and hopefully will be able to entertain us for many more years.

Jen

Nikke2003
on 3/8/17 1:57 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I agree. The brain chemistry thing is the only thing that bothered me because I wouldn't want someone (that doesn't know any better) to read it and think SURGERY does that. Sure, I no longer struggle like I used to with emotional eating. But, as you said... surgery didn't change my brain. I worked hard through therapy and what not to get to where I'm at in that area.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

jenorama
on 3/8/17 2:00 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Totally! I mean, I still get hungry and I still wanna stuff my face with carbs!! :D

Jen

Nikke2003
on 3/8/17 2:10 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Exactly. We will all have trigger foods and those moments where our control goes to **** haha. I actually just locked up the chocolates I eat in my kitchen safe until tomorrow.

I saw that on Shark Tank and thought it would be cool and bought it maybe two years ago haha. It's the best.

It seems goofy to some of my friends... but being "real" with myself and acknowledging that, at times, I just don't have the willpower to say no is what has helped me maintain so far. Some things, I just don't bring into the house. Some things, I lock up when I'm feeling weak haha

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

peachpie
on 3/8/17 2:48 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Is it bad that my first thought is I wonder how hard I'd have to whack this with something to get it open :-)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active