Updated DEXA scan 11 months later

Deanna798
on 3/7/17 8:36 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I had my DEXA Scan today. It was just about 11 months since my last, and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed in my results, though I'm not surprised, and they make perfect sense. I've included the sheet on interpreting the results. I verified that the BMC is only the weight of the minerals in the bones, and not of the full skeleton. The rest of the weight of the skeleton is included in the lean mass.

I haven't really worked out since last July, not consistently. I've lost 13lbs in the last 11 months and 9 of those pounds were lean mass. My body fat percentage went from 32.9 to 33.5, up .6%.

My bone density is AWESOME, and the tech that I sat with to discuss my results said that I'm living proof that we CAN raise our bone density in our 40's, even if it's just by .003.

So, I'm pledging right now that I will start working with weights at least 3 days a week, and cardio once a week. Even if I have to do it in my own house, which I hate to do. I got some kettle bells and barbells for Christmas!

Also, I hate that we can see all my fat rolls in the xrays on the reports. Makes me really want plastics!

See my results below, they show the history from 4/20/2016 to 3/7/2017:

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/7/17 8:44 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Thank you for sharing and getting clarification for us! Takes a lot of work to put muscle mass on (compared to losing, or to putting on fat at least) but it can definitely be done. Just need to focus on hitting your protein goals and getting in as much proteins as possible to do :)

The best workouts are obviously ANY, but especially heavier ones. Thats where muscle is more greatly built. At least, thats my understanding. Heavier weight fewer reps= muscle mass, lighter weights higher reps = leaning out. Im probably wrong, I normally am :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Deanna798
on 3/7/17 8:53 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Oh, I have no problem getting my protein in. I get 90g to 110g in most days. I'm fairly active, but really need to get back to the actual weights to build muscle. I can only imagine where I would be if I was still working out like i was last summer.

This is the motivation that I need to get back to it.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/8/17 4:22 am

Great results for the bones..

And you have your work cut out for you. Ideally - you need to aim at 25-30% body fat. Closer to 25 would be better. For women that is good. 20-25% is consider on a lean side.

As long as you retain muscle and not lose that - losing 10% of body fat would mean app 10% of your current weight. So close to 16-20 lbs. While maintaining muscle mass.

Good that you have the gym at your work place...No?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Deanna798
on 3/8/17 5:26 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I have made a personal goal to lose down to 27% body fat by this time next year. Regardless of my weight, I think I will be healthy either way.

Most Active