Worst Thing Said to You After Losing A Lot of Weight...

NYMom222
on 3/7/17 8:48 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I do not answer questions about how much weight I've lost. I flat out say - that is something I've chosen not to share, I've lost a lot.

I have a failed WLS person I need to see because of work. I will be seeing her tonight actually... she has lost basically nothing... and it's the attitude behind it- the back handed compliment... What happened to the rest of you? Things like that... and always said in front of other people...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

rachelp
on 3/7/17 9:33 am
VSG on 08/01/16

People are starting to drill me on how much I've lost so I always say "a lot...an embarrassing amount actually." After I say that they don't ask again.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Donna L.
on 3/7/17 8:59 am, edited 3/7/17 12:59 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My father said my weight loss wasn't fast enough, however it's fast enough for my surgeon given my history, so...

Once I was in the grocery store, this was actually a few months ago, a fellow WLS patient came up to me and tried to advocate for surgery. They had lost 50 pounds in a year. At the time I was 330 or so (down from 750), and had lost twice what they had in the less than a year. Once they knew that they were remarkably less enthusiastic. I encouraged them rather than being snippy, though I was greatly amused at their expense. ;)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/7/17 9:27 am
RNY on 12/31/13

This is a great example of why we should keep our damn mouths shut about other people's medical situations unless specifically asked. I remember a similar situation, after having lost about 70 pounds. I was feeling very good about myself when a stranger at a conference took it upon herself to tell my why I should work on losing weight, etc.

Another time, I watch with bemused horror while waiting in the bariatric clinic waiting room as a post-op woman asked another woman what surgery she was going to have. The woman responded angrily that she had already had surgery. FIVE years before...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

summerset
on 3/11/17 11:27 am

Yikes, I wish people would just shut up about weight issues!!

seattledeb
on 3/7/17 12:07 pm
After I lost about 100 pounds I had a woman at a support group ask me when I was going to have surgery.
Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/7/17 3:25 pm

A dumbass MA at my surgeon's office asked me when I was scheduled for the lap band when I was there for my 9-month check up. I gave her the death-ray glare.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Donna L.
on 3/7/17 10:17 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I would have literally facepalmed in front of her, IRL.

Of course my surgeon's office has done this. I see my surgeon more frequently (it keeps me on track, and also he seems genuinely interested in my progress) so you'd think they would realize this.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

* Nicole *
on 3/7/17 9:11 am

I really dont remember any, I know things were probably said but honestly I never cared. Im one of the rare few that even after being fat my first 22 years of life (I was 75lbs at 5 years old). Ive just never cared. Only thing that ever got a look from me was my aunt asking while I was in the hospital why did I feel like I needed to have surgery. Are you Fing kidding is all I asked. It was never spoke of again.

Only other time something was said that bugged me was the bfs mom talking about some they knew having surgery and talking like they knew what all was entailed. Without them knowing I was post op myself, schooled them. And in short said how long have you been dieting? How much have you lost? Yet you think someone who put their life on the line to gain control of a problem that clearly couldnt be and would kill them is skipping the diet? So a procedure that means nutrient malabsorption for life, that requires daily vitamin supplementation and life long commitment is easy?! You can diet off and on all you want, surgery isnt comething you can quit and comeback too. For some it is the last resort.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/7/17 9:18 am

I got some of the "I'm losing weight the RIGHT way" from a morbidly obese coworker, but the stupidest things have been from my mother's idiot husband. After I had my surgery, my husband told me my mother's husband said I should be dissuaded from surgery because I would just gain all my weight back.

He (the idiot) also sat at my table one Christmas and lectured me on the virtues of low-carb eating, which I have been doing since before surgery. When I told him that, he said he was just giving me additional information of which I was ignorant.

Another coworker pulled out the old, "Oh, I could never go without eating mashed potatoes, fried chicken, deep fried twinkies, etc again. I just don't know how you do it." Well, eating with abandon was a lot of what got me over 300 pounds.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active