Plastics help

OffTheWagon
on 3/6/17 7:40 pm, edited 3/8/17 9:00 pm - Reisterstown, MD

I'm 14 years out RNY. I had regained most of the weight I lost. I'm now getting counseling, changed meds, eating better and furiously exercising. Originally 342, lost almost 100 - regained back to 287. Now I'm 218 and still working.

I just got results showing a hernia. I also have rashes. I really want to have a lower body lift and breast augmentation. I'm willing to do just the lower body lift. BUT I'm not sure how to get it covered. I'm not sure if it's possible, especially since I have AHCCCS (Medicaid). Does anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE: I'm getting a referral to a surgeon. Will also be talking to my PCP next week. A nurse practitioner friend of mine told me one of the restrictions after this surgery is no stairs for 6 weeks. I'm hoping that's not true. I live in a 2nd floor walk-up.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/6/17 7:48 pm
If you can find a doctor that takes medicaid you'd havre to have them submit.

Plastics are not usually covered...however, with enough documentation, it may be considered medically necessary.

I do not have Medicaid.....but my insurance did pay for a LBL.

Scott
NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/6/17 9:14 pm

I was surprised to meet a man a couple of years whose plan covered him for LBL. Wish I could recall why they went that far for him. What did you have to do -- how many cartwheels did you have to turn -- to get it? Isn't it more common, though still somewhat rare, for insurance to cover "lesser" procedures? At least, I've always thought of LBL as near-unattainable, the Rolls Royce of lower-body reconstruction.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/7/17 6:40 pm
Was it me? LOL.

They paid for my LBL and upper body lift.

I lost 300 lbs and had lots of documentation about the issues the loose skin was causing.

I couldn't get them to pay for a arm lift of thigh lift though.

Scott
NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/8/17 7:37 am

I doubt that it was you. I don't know where you're located, but I met that gentleman at a lapband support meeting at NYUMC.

It's too peculiar that they wouldn't shoot for arm and thigh. A 300-lb loss would impede movement. Stupid insurance companies. Did you cover those procedures for yourself?

300? You're, er, um, tremendous. Colossal? Ya know what I mean. You have me grinning and a little teary over your success.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/8/17 9:24 pm
Thanks you. I haven't done any plastics. It's just not worth it. My arms bother me, I'd look a lot thinner on my legs if they did my thighs.....but I'm 6'1"195 lbs. I'm really ok. I may do them in the future but I doubt it. I'd rather spend that money on something else
NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/9/17 6:58 pm

I'm confused. Does this mean that you didn't have LBL? You were joshin'? That's cool. I'm sure you're a handsome demon no matter what.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/9/17 7:31 pm
I meant plastics on my own. I had the LBL and UBL.

But no thighs or arms or *****OMG I would do my chin though. The turkey gooble look is so 2000 late....hahahaha.

Ladytazz
on 3/6/17 8:31 pm

Most insurances will pay for a pannectomy if medically necessary but not a tummy tuck unless there is extreme damage. Don't expect medicaid to pay for much.

some people get insurance to cover the pannectomy and pay extra for more work.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Kathy S.
on 3/7/17 1:50 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Ditto to what everyone said. Unless you are suffering from the hernia, I would add to wait until you are as close to your goal weight as possible and a little longer if you can once you are at goal. Good luck to you!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active