Has overeating ended for you a few years post op ?

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/17 4:28 pm

I just realized journaling my food on my surgery forum that I really don't eat that much .

Its funny because in the beginning I was always tempted to graze and I truly did eat way more at like buffets and even at home .

Now I basically eat a small quantity a few times a day and stop and don't think about more food for quite a few hours .

I honestly never thought I'd be able to stop being an excess food addict .. but it's not really part of my life anymore... yay !!

Do you find you've had the same experience?

Barbsleeved
on 3/5/17 4:44 pm, edited 3/5/17 8:46 am
VSG on 08/22/14

I'm struggling with overeating at a little over 2.5 years out. I'm finding myself grazing, finishing a meal and going back for more when I'm no longer full, which I never did earlier out post op. I have gained 5 pounds from my lowest weight because of this newer behavior, and if it wasn't for exercise, it would probably be more. I've been working on breaking the habit, but it's not easy. If I spread out my food through the day, I can eat just as much now as I could pre op, and that's a little depressing.

Just another adjustment that needs to be made. I'll get er done. I have no intention of going back ;) I'll live to fight another day!

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

skinny_gigi
on 3/6/17 5:36 am

Kick up your workout i found that when i work out really hard in the past i hate eating and undoing the workout...just a few times does the trick!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/6/17 7:16 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Unfortunately, I have not found that to be the case. I find it a constant work-in-progress and a I make the conscious decision every day not to over-eat or binge.

I will always be a food addict in recovery. I do not consider myself cured.

If you have that experience, you are very fortunate, indeed!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Jester
on 3/6/17 7:59 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

At almost a year out, I am having issues with overeating. So far, I am controlling it well, but the demons are there.

I don't really have issue eating too much at meal time. I'm generally satisfied with the measured portion I serve myself. My problem comes with between meal times. I want to eat again for "pleasure". I'm pretty sure it's not real hunger, but my head plays serious games with me. I try to find something else to do, or at worst I try and eat more of healthy foods than junk foods. Food tastes good, I enjoy it and that seems to be the root of my issues.

So far so good with keeping the demons at bay, but I know this will be a lifelong struggle. I wi**** weren't. I wi**** were easier to just eat at mealtime and forget about food.

Lipsticklady
on 3/6/17 9:28 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I have a very tight sleeve and a slight stricture so my portions are extremely small even at almost 4 years out. I've got a watch the grazing, though. It's a dangerous habit.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

siberiancat
on 3/7/17 1:07 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I don't typically overeat (my pouch holds 3 ounces) - so that isn't my problem.

I more often graze (snack), and it usually isn't a protein source (nuts, gluten free cracker, pretzel, corn chip, dried fruit), etc. Also, I'm not really hungry. I see something in my refrigerator, pantry, desk drawer, and I want it - not much - maybe 5 nuts or 3 pretzels - but it ALL adds up and has carbs!

I find keeping a food diary and logging every bite really helps me think first. Often those few bites add up to 200-300 grams of carbs and little to no protein. Not wise.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active