Who eats fruit ?

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/17 9:54 pm

Since my WLS I have become like an Asian person - I eat a lot of very lightly sautéed vegetables and pitifully little fruit .

Mind you - I grow delicious organic plums cherries blueberries raspberries apples and nectarines yet very rarely can eat any - most get sold or made into jam and apple butter .

I well remember how I used to love going I the garden and picking and eating - now if I pick fruit I usually have to gift it to others. ( grr)

Is this condition ( aversion to anything sweet ) going to continue forever ? Is it a result of dumping severely early on and a few ( horrible) times since ?

Weirdly I still eat tomatoes and oranges regularly mostly in Tabouleh salad form .

I really believe all humans needs lots of vitamin C to combat pollution and photo aging .

What do you think?

Fredbear
on 3/4/17 8:12 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Sweet things are very unappealing to me now, so I eat very little fruit... typically it'll just be some berries (black, rasp, etc.) with breakfast. Fruit is mostly sugar (carbs), so it's not the best choice if you're trying to stay below 50g of carbs a day for ketosis.

If you're taking your vitamins, you don't need to worry about malnutrition. If it really bothers you, try snacking on strips of sweet peppers (red/orange/yellow), as they are high in vitamin C.

I like to use them as dippers for spicy hummus, it's a very tasty combination.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/17 8:18 am, edited 3/4/17 12:24 am

I actually eat like Bags of those little multicolored peppers all the time . They're delicious .. and make any food so much more appealing :)

I really like eating them raw with fat free sour cream based tzaziki dip and fat free homemade onion dip ..

( I'm trying to stay away from tempting delicious bean dishes right now ) this said as I'm cooking ( and tasting ) lentil " crack " ( see the recipes forum )

it really is like the best thing you'll ever eat - and I formerly hated lentils

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/17 7:39 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I am still in the "losing phase" so I concentrate on eating my protein first. If I have room, then I have some berries, tomato, or a half of a cutie. That is wonderful you have so many fruit trees and berries at your finger tips. We have a Bartlett pear tree but the squirrels eat them before we get a chance.

Rachel B.
on 3/5/17 8:28 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I keep forgetting to get hummus and mini-peppers at the store. I'm not a big fruit eater anymore. I still love sweets. Of course, I fell of the wagon, and I think that has a lot to do with getting my sweet tooth back. I used to love bananas and oranges. I will eat papaya in season, especially good in cottage cheese. Now I will eat apples and I have red grapefruit (costco's pre-packaged presliced and cleaned), but have cut back trying to keep down the carbs. I'm not big on the veggies either.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/6/17 1:10 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I make hummus and freeze it in a silicon ice cube trays, pop it out and put the "cubes" in a baggy in my freezer. Then I just take one out whenever I want a serving of hummus. It's a perfect one ounce size -- portion controlled -- and tastier and cheaper than buying it pre-made!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Renee C.
on 3/5/17 8:50 am - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

I'm still too early on for much in the way of fruit, but my dietician does have it on our eating plan starting from soft foods. Small amounts, and always with protein. I am looking forward to berries being in season, as they go great in yogurt!

I'm just trying to keep my carbs fairly low at this point in early weight loss, especially since my blood sugar is not completely in the normal range yet (diabetic here).

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Lipsticklady
on 3/5/17 10:22 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I'll eat a few apple slices with cheese, or half an orange from time to time, but I don't eat as much fruit as I used to. One or two strawberries, a few raspberries or blackberries when they are in season, and I'm good.

I dont really miss fruit, but I enjoy it when I have a few bites.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Jester
on 3/5/17 1:03 pm
RNY on 03/21/16 with

I eat fruit everyday. Quite a bit of it actually, and have since the first couple of months out.

I make a shake 3-4 days a week for breakfast with a banana in it. I also eat a sizable bag of berries nearly everyday - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries.

I also have the the occasional apple (have to be careful as these can hurt my stomach, and I always peel them for that reason), cutie or grapes (also have to be careful with grapes upsetting my stomach).

Fruit is one one of the only sweet things I eat, and because of that my palate has adjusted and fruit is sweeter, and more delicious, than it's ever been!

The Salty Hag
on 3/6/17 7:03 am
RNY on 05/20/13

My body sees most fruit as sugar, so I just skip it. Of course, my favorite fruits were the one with the highest sugar content; I've never been a fan of berries.

I miss honey mangoes. They were my absolute favorite.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active