Almost 11 years later

JAEJAE
on 3/2/17 7:08 am - Valhalla, NY

Hi everyone, I hope all is doing well on this journey! I had the RNY done in December 2006... With a total loss of 230 pounds. Now almost 11 years later I have picked up 55+ pounds and I'm trying to lose it again without doing a revision. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

rainesmom
on 3/2/17 7:49 am - Anahuac, TX

I am 11 years out as well. I regained around 30 lbs when I tried to quit smoking. I have lost 20 and am currently working on the last 10. I have been logging my meals and snacks, drinking more water and counting calories. Walking when able and basically trying to watch what I eat and decide if it is worth it before I eat it. It isn't easy like it used to be. Now we really need to pay more attention to everything that goes in our mouths. Stop eating just because it taste good and only eat until you are full. It will taste good if you save some of it for a second meal. Good Luck!

JAEJAE
on 3/2/17 8:04 am - Valhalla, NY

Yes, that's basically what I've been doing for the last 10 days or so. I've tried to go back to basics doing protein shakes, spinach and strawberry smoothies,... I do allow myself a couple cups of coffee with Fat free creamer and I still use equal but it's not doesn't seem to be enough. I have a Fitbit that calculates my exercise and calorie burning, but it seems to be a bit off. I decreased my calorie intake and buy at least 1000 cal a day and to me, it should be coming off a lot faster than it is. I am extremely grateful for the surgery and the lifestyle change that it gave me... And I'm really trying to work it again. Good luck to you and it sounds like you're a success as well.

rachelp
on 3/2/17 8:12 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Don't drink shakes and smoothies. Focus on dense protein and non starchy veggies. All the shakes will do is make you super hungry and smoothies are full of sugar which will cause cravings. Meat will keep you full and satisfied longer. Join the daily menu thread on the RNY forum. Everyone posts their menus so you can get ideas. It also helps with accountability.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

One Bad Beach
on 3/2/17 8:10 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Back to basics is a good thing. Have you tried logging your meals in MyFitnessPal? I love that app. If you can log the meals, you can see just how much protein you are getting, and it makes counting calories so much easier!

And, from what I understand, the malabsorption decreases as time goes on, so it will be much harder to lose the re-gain, but it will be so worth it. Good luck to you!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/17 8:27 am - CA

I am 16 years post op and maintained my weight loss for 12.5 years. I have had regain and am now losing it. I went back to basics, which is the best option for us when there is no mechanical breakdown with the surgery itself.

A few suggestions:

• Track all your food.
  • Measure all portions.
  • Stick to dense proteins first and foremost. They will keep us satisfied longer.
  • Cut ALL simple carbs.
  • Cut ALL sugar.

Each person is different, but if you can focus on what you did in the early post op stages, you should see the weight coming off. It is much slower now, of course. But, it does come off. You can go here to find your BMR and this will tell you how many inactive calories you burn daily. Once you know that, set your caloric intake and stick to it. I am able to cut about 600-700 calories a day and am losing about 1.6-1.8 pounds a week, so far. I can hit 2 lbs a week when I am getting exercise in.

You can do this!!!

Good luck!

Nik

CraftHer
on 3/2/17 9:09 am - OH

JAEJAE, thank you for posting this. I had my RNY in September 2006 and lost 95 pounds. I stayed there (about 20 pounds from goal) for a long time. I could list a lot of reasons and excuses but none of it really matters. I've gained about 40 lbs back. My RNY was such a wonderful blessing and I feel so guilty for "abusing" it.

Now it's back to basics. I was most successful when I logged my food so I loaded MyFitnessPal on my phone and will start using that. I also loaded Map My Walk to keep track of exercise. I'd love to "graduate" to Map My Run :).

I don't have the same drive as I did when I had surgery. Where did it go and how do I get it back.

I've searched and haven't found much in the way of support groups or forums for people who are as far out from surgery as I am. Does anyone have any suggestions?

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/17 11:31 am, edited 3/2/17 9:12 pm

I was a lifelong kinda-dieter at least in my head (I binged every day ... but " gót rid of it ... SURE

I exercised a lot (hours like four hours every day seriously ( I was a two workout a day child athlete ) just to keep from gAining and to keep a few lbs off.

So its natural that when I finally gót a break I needed to rest a bit . I didn't even want to think about excercise.

Now I miss working out and the fantastic clean feeling of sweating the toxins out in a jacuzzi sauna or just through sweating / working hard.

I joined a hiking Group because its fun to work out and chat. ( and feels effortless)

Renee C.
on 3/2/17 7:37 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Does your surgeon have a support group? I'd check local hospitals that do bariatric surgery. I know our support group is for everyone no matter how far out. (but if you didn't get it done there you'd probably have to ask if you can attend)

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/2/17 8:08 pm
Rebound is very normal. You can take it off. You'll have to eat the way a RNYer has to eat. There are lots of posts here- about how to take off rebound.

I will be honest-it won't be easy. It's not like when you just had surgery. It's much easier to stay the same weight or gain. But it is possible.

Good luck to you!

Scott
Most Active