Anyone cook with a Sous Vide?

happyteacher
on 3/5/17 6:24 pm

Ziplocs are what I reach for first so long as it is not a long cook or one that requires a high temperature. In those situations they can fail.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/17 7:57 am, edited 3/4/17 2:14 am

Wow sounds so technological ! As a very tiny little ferocious cat I'm really scared of food cooked in plastic- aren't you ? I mean I've forever put " microwaveable " meals on a plate .. haven't you ? Do you really trust no pcbs or cancer causing poisons exist in those super heated plastic bags ?! For Gods sakes plastic wrap ( non heated ) has been proven to b hugely cancer causing !

Dundreggen
on 3/6/17 10:21 am - Canada

Sous vide is relatively low temperature. I store and pack food for lunch in plastic. So no, not terribly worried. Everything causes cancer. Breathing is one of the most toxic thing you can do to yourself (oxygen is where free radicals come from!) but you still got to do it!

I finally broke down and bought a microwave because my partner wanted one. So no I dont' really microwave food on anything in one lol. I don't really use a microwave.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

happyteacher
on 3/5/17 6:21 pm

Sous vide is my new obsession to compliment my kitchen gadget disease. I have a really hard time with tough proteins, so this method has been especially wonderful. Additionally, due to no gallbladder I can't handle any amount of fat without getting sick. Enter sous vide. I make a lot of very lean proteins turn out like prime rib. Cheap cuts turn out awesome. I think it is worth a purchase just to make steak alone, given how much better it is than any other method I have used. It makes for highly consistent results everytime. So if tender and delicious protein is something you are into, then for sure this is awesome.

I have also made veggies with it and those were awesome! Unfortunately, my favorite dessert turns out perfectly sous vide (creme brulee) and it makes it crazy easy. My favorite dish though might surprise you- it is Eggs Benedict. I love this stuff, but could never do a decent job of it. Chefsteps has a recipe that is idiot proof and crazy easy. Just toss the ingredients in the bag, sous vide, toss in my Vitamix and perfect every single time.

I have 3 sous vide options that I have used. My first one was my bluetooth Instant Pot pressure cooker- I used that to "try" sous vide and made incredible steak. I then preordered the Joule and positively love that thing. I then picked up the Instant Pot model circulator on a lightening deal for only $50. I don't love that model, but for the price no complaints.

The one thing I didn't mention is how awesome it is for a working mom. There are dishes that take 24-48 hours. Tonight I started a bottom round roast and it will be ready Tuesday for dinner. So when I get home literally a quick broil to brown it up, and I will have an amazing dinner on the table in 5 minutes flat. (I make the mashed potatoes the night before so they are a quick reheat.) Makes for decadent week night dinners that were previously out of reach and minimal effort.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/5/17 8:41 pm
People often talk about cooking in plastic as the down side of soup vide.

I love my instant pot...you can do many of the same things in it.

Scott
happyteacher
on 3/6/17 5:35 am

I have two Instant Pots. One does do sous vide, but what a giant pain. You have to calibrate it, write a script, and then the water does not circulate. That was just fine for making a dandy steak, but I for sure appreciate the convenience of the Joule. Meats sous vide does not compare to pressure cooker preparation for the most part. I do still make pulled pork in the IP since it turns out great and easy. Same with beef stew and short ribs. If it is a regular meat entree though, most always now I go sous vide.

Dundreggen
on 3/6/17 10:24 am - Canada

I looked at those, but really I don't think they are for me. I am not worried about the plastic. As I said to a previous poster I store my left overs, package up meats for the freezer and pack my lunch.. all in forms of plastic. If there is something they have yet to discover it in, I will already have a ton of exposure.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Most Active