Endoscopy

landy
on 3/1/17 5:56 am

Tomorrow is my endoscopy.  This is the first time I've had this done.  I've had other surgeries before, but nothing where I wasn't put completely under. 

I'm a little nervous and don't know what to expect after.  Will I be able to eat something or will I be sleeping the rest of the day?

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Pre-Op VSG

48 days into the required 3 month program

down the 10 pounds (going on 20+ pounds) required

1 NUT appt and 2 therapy appts. down

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/17 6:41 am - CA

An Endoscopy is a very simple procedure.  You will be put under MAC Twilight, which is a anesthesia that is very light, but effective.  It is short term and no lasting effects.  However, they will have plenty of time to get the proceudure done (usually 15 mins) while you are under .  You will not remember anything and you will not feel anything.  Immediately after the procedure you will be taken back to the recovery room for the to monitor you for about 30 mins, then you will be discharged and sent home.   You will be groggy once you start waking up, but it will lessen as the anesthesia wears off.  You shouldn't sleep all day and shouldn't feel wiped out, but that also depends on how you react to the anesthesia.    They will tell you not to drive for at least 24 hours after the proc and this is standard.   You will be given a sheet with instructions at discharge and they will tell you to eat foods that will not cause any irritation to your throat, but you really can eat anything that works for you.   

Best of luck! 

rachelp
on 3/1/17 7:11 am
VSG on 08/01/16

It was nothing really. I had never had surgery or anything like that done before so I was very nervous! It seemed like it was done in 2 seconds and I work up and didn't really feel groggy or anything. For the rest of the day eat "easy on the stomach" foods and nothing hard, spicy or acidic. I never felt anything irritating but I still was careful.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

landy
on 3/1/17 7:32 am

Thank you!

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/1/17 7:35 am

My experience was easy.  I had no idea that I wasn't under general anesthesia, as I had no idea what was going on while it was going on.  I was told that I might have a slight sore throat afterward, which I did.  It lasted perhaps two days, but at no time interfered with eating, drinking, speaking or anything else.

Because a form of anesthesia was involved, I had to have a friend fetch me out of the hospital.  I felt fine soon after being awakened -- the coming-around part was gradual but fast enough.  We left the hospital and went out to a nice lunch. 

You'll be fine.  If you're nervous during the lead-up, it may help if you chat and joke with the people who are prepping you.  They'll enjoy your personality and be happy to share theirs as they go about their routine tasks. 

Most Active