Irregular heart beat

NewYork Loser
on 2/27/17 8:10 pm
RNY on 08/02/17

I had my health appointment at the surgeons office the other day and the nurse practitioner told me I have an irregular heart beat and that I need to make another appointment with my pcp to be cleared by him. She didn't seem over concerned about it but it still worries me. In my 33 years in this earth not once have I ever been told I have an irregular heart beat. And I was just at my pcp a month ago when he signed off on the paper work for my surgery. Or at any of my many obgyn appointments that I've been to over the past year since my son was born 4 months ago. Has this ever happened to anyone before?  And did it become an issue in regards to getting surgery? 

CC C.
on 2/27/17 10:19 pm

Had you had lots of caffeine? I gave myself arrhythmia after drinking too much iced tea and thought I was having a heart attack. After a visit to urgent care, I cut the caffeine and my heartbeat returned to normal. 

NewYork Loser
on 2/28/17 7:06 pm
RNY on 08/02/17

I don't drink much caffeine. Maybe 1 cup of coffee a day 4 times a week. Besides that I drink pretty much water. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/17 10:23 pm

Hey Abrouse17

There is nothing to panic.....Whats did the your results say about this?. Few months back i have been in a similar situation but the results turn out near perfect. Remember surgery is the last resort action taken by professionals. 

Have a nice day!

swim_bike_smile
on 2/28/17 12:58 am
RNY on 06/13/16

I was told that I had a left ventricular abnormality that was often associated with morbid obesity.  I'd never been told that I had an irregular heartbeat before then, either.  I had to follow-up with my PCP, and was still cleared for surgery.  It was nothing.  Scary, but nothing.

M1 -31  M2  -15  M3 -14  M4 -10 M5 -12 M6 -7  M7  -4  M8  -3    

Instagram:    the.traveling.pouch

MFP:     chelso0o     (o zero 0)

heidikat72
on 2/28/17 8:25 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

Definitely follow up with your PCP. Have you had the cardiac clearance testing yet? And if this is the first time you've been told that, it may have just been something about that day and not a chronic issue.

I've had a mild heart murmur since birth and during my cardiac clearance testing, they found I also have mild left ventricular hypertrophy - common with morbid obesity. Neither was an issue with regard to getting cleared for surgery though - my cardiologist actually said it would take something severe for him to not clear the surgery since losing the weight will do more to lower cardiovascular risks. But the testing is needed so they know what they are dealing with before getting you on the operating table.

Get any follow up testing, but don't stress about it!

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

NewYork Loser
on 2/28/17 7:09 pm
RNY on 08/02/17

Thanks everyone!  Made my appointment with my pcp for later this month. Hopefully I'll be good to go!

kathkeb
on 2/28/17 9:15 pm

About a month pre-op, I got an 'in-office' EKG by my PCP and he. Asked me when my heart attack had been ...... Umm, NEVER!

they sent me to a cardiologist and I was diagnosed with minor aortic stenosis (2valves don't close all the way).

i told a treadmill stress test, was cleared for surgery and had a repeat heart test 1 year later .... Same amount of stenosis .... Apparently from birth.

they said that it was so minor it was hard to miss when just listening to my heart (especially through the extra fat I carried).

Kath

JTomo08
on 2/28/17 11:02 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

Don't stress out too much. When I id my heart test pre-surgery they said the same thing. I said I promise I'm fine, I'm just shook up from almost having someone crash into me! Two weeks later I had to do an ultrasound at the hospital and they found nothing wrong. Sometimes the heart just wants to be weird.

OneBlueSock
on 3/1/17 5:17 am
RNY on 06/21/17

I developed an irregular heartbeat a couple years ago, it was very disconcerting.....I saw a cardiologist, had a stress echo and they determined that there really wasn't anything major wrong...I have what are called PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), and the consensus was that they are probably anxiety related, and that putting me on meds to control them would probably have worse side-effects than occasionally getting them.

I'm scheduled for my surgery in 2 weeks, and my surgeon did order a cardiac clearance for me just to be on the safe side, everything looked good.   I treated it as a better safe-than-sorry :)

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

Most Active