Does everyone tell their coworkers that you had surgery?

Sai F.
on 3/4/17 9:54 am
VSG on 09/02/16

Some people feel the need to tell everyone, maybe it helps them with personal accountability. I didn't tell anyone about my lap band in 2009 nor my revision 2016. I say whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Lipsticklady
on 3/5/17 10:25 am
VSG on 05/14/13

Nope.

I don't tell them about sex last night with my husband, how much money we earn, if my hemorrhoid is flairing, when I'm in the rag (although they may get that one on their own), or if I'm really gassy (ditto on this one).

Why is it their business?

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

4MRB4PHOTO
on 3/5/17 11:31 am
VSG on 07/28/14

I am dissapointed. I was so looking forward to you telling us your delightful escapades while using Dracula's tea bag.

Lipsticklady
on 3/5/17 3:47 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

YOU! Back in time out.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

4MRB4PHOTO
on 3/5/17 4:05 pm
VSG on 07/28/14

I'm sorry Mrs. Lipsticklady.

Miss Liss
on 3/6/17 9:16 am

I didn't tell everyone in the office where I worked at the time. I told my boss and then my closest coworkers and left it at that. Once the weight started to come off, I had others begin to ask what I was doing to lose the weight and was honest with them. My WLS journey has always been an open book for the most part. But, now that I am 13 years out, most people around me don't even know I had surgery, and I don't advertise it as it is really not a big deal anymore. At 13 years out and a normal weight, I just blend in with everyone else. Nobody notices how I eat. They just think I am one of those healthy eaters.

theAntiChick
on 3/6/17 9:37 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I didn't make a big deal about it, but if it comes up in discussion I don't shy away from it. I'm a pretty "out there" kind of person (hence a blog) and health education comes naturally to me as a nurse. I'm ready, willing, and able to speak to the research on obesity and how little diet/exercise works long-term for most and how WLS is a viable option for many. So I do. I've had very little in the way of negative reaction, most have been very supportive and complimentary on taking charge of my health.

I don't think my way is the only way. Bottom line is that health issues are personal, and no one should feel that they HAVE to tell ANYONE beyond their medical team. Even family don't have the right to demand details about a person's health care, period.

If you feel prepared to deal with negative reactions (they ARE out there), and want to tell, do so. But don't feel that you must because you "should".

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active