Any one have WLS over the age of 60.

ljbarbara
on 2/26/17 1:42 pm

I was 60 when I had VSG surgery and 67 when my sleeve was revised to RNY due to severe GERD. I will be 69 this year and am going strong. The surgeries are the very best things I could have done for myself. 

I agree with the posters above that with your lower BMI, VSG would be a better choice for you. I would recommend researching the stats on GERD following VSG surgery and discussing this possibility with your surgeon before making your final decision. More and more people are having this problem post VSG.

I did very well with the VSG. I lost all my weight and maintained for 7 years. The GERD grew progressively worse however, and revision was a necessity. I am doing really well with the RNY and feel very comfortable recommending this surgery to anyone.

Let me know if you need any further information.  Good luck!

greymare
on 2/26/17 3:21 pm

The GERD is a problem I already have and that concerns me.  I understand the is dumping syndrome with the RNY.  The DS always for a larger stomach and that was one of the reasons I like it.  Thanks you for the information

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/17 12:35 pm, edited 2/27/17 4:35 am

I chose RNY because I had horrible GERD ( the hiatal hernia surgery I had along with my rny totally solved a lifelong reflux issue  from day one )  but I still wish I had more radical surgery. 

The fact is most bariatric patients do not comply at all with post op guidelines ( God knows why - do they imagine in great denial that they're Super healthy supermen and women ? ) or maybe they just can't stop over eating  

that means most surgeons also for their own statistics sake suggest only half the surgery the patient really needs to lose all their excess weight. in other words they understandably don't trust us to comply post or even come back ... a lot of bariatric patients never show up for even a single follow up visit never mind vitamin tests / blood tests deca scans etc . 

I would definitely insist on a distal RNY now or a ds despite the fact I was a ridiculous lightweight. 

ljbarbara
on 2/27/17 4:23 pm

Not everyone dumps...it's a lower number than you think.   Some people like the idea of dumping (not because they enjoy the sensation!), but because it keeps them in line. Following your eating plan avoids dumping.

Cathy H.
on 2/26/17 4:45 pm, edited 2/26/17 8:46 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I'm only 4 months out from VSG surgery, but I turned 57 in January.  Every day that goes by, I'm awed at the improvement in my quality of life.  My single regret from surgery is that I didn't do it 10 years ago when I first considered it.  However, I look so forward to every day now and all the things I can now do and will be able to do when I'm finished losing weight.  

The bad things are, of course, that there has been damage done to my body from carrying 300+ pounds around for nearly 30 years that cannot be undone.  I have degenerative arthritis in my knees that will eventually result in replacement of both of them.  The good news is that with less weight, it will postpone replacement for a lot longer, so that's good, and they don't hurt quite as bad every day.

But my blood pressure (still with meds) is amazing now, my Type 2 Diabetes is gone (last A1C was 5.4!), and my thyroid is improving, meds just cut in half.  Every day is a blessing.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery, and can't wait to welcome you to the Loser's Bench!!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Wyldspirit
on 2/26/17 4:53 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I had RNY in March 2016 when I was 61 years old. I never thought that I was too old to have the surgery  but rather it was never on my radar. Even though I had a diagnosis of diabetes and severe sleep apnea I was still able to carry out an active life. But then my knees and hip started hurting when walking and becoming out of her breath while walking uphill or short distance.  It wasn't until my Manicurist who had the sleeve looked at me and said why don't you go get information. march 14 will be my one year surgiversary and I am down 150 pounds. 

Eggface
on 2/26/17 4:58 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Best wishes to you!! I thought this might be an interesting (and happy) read for you:

Outcomes of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy & Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass in Patients Older than 60 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

greymare
on 2/26/17 5:15 pm

Good article, thank you

VSGAnn2014
on 2/28/17 4:45 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Thank you for this, eggface!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

VSGAnn2014
on 2/27/17 11:31 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I had VSG surgery at age 68.  I'm 71 now.  

Lost 100 pounds and have maintained at 135 for the last 13 months.  

BTW, I had mild GERD pre-op (took an H2 blocker -- Ranitidine pre-op).  The Ranitidine is still managing my reflux just great.  I recently posted about this somewhere else -- you can search my board activity and find that recent post. 

BTW, I think older folks have an easier job post-op.  We've been there and pretty much seen it all.  We're often more motivated, because WLS is our last chance to get healthy.  That's where I was (head-wise).  And it has worked out so amazingly well for me.  

And now I'm working on confusing people by making them think I'm Debbie Harry.  ;)  

Very best wishes to you!  

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active