What was your "light bulb moment"?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/26/17 12:51 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm so glad you survived & are here with us. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 1:37 pm

I'm so happy for you that it worked out. Kudos for your persistence! 

alouisa63
on 2/26/17 5:33 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

My light bulb moment.... when my mom fell in the middle of the night  (two nights in a row) and I had to call the fire department to get her up.  Watching these men struggle with her, I knew I never wanted to be in that position.  Two months later I went for an informational seminar and two months after that had surgery.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 6:40 am
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

catwoman7
on 2/26/17 6:04 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I had thought about WLS for about 10 years and even went to a few info seminars and support group meetings along the way.  I don't think my mind was truly in it then, though, and I was worried about the cost.  The only insurance option available to me that covered WLS was triple the cost of my HMO, which seemed outrageous to me.  I thought I'd wait until my HMO changed its policy and suddenly covered it (btw - this never happened - it still doesn't cover it).

During the last year or so before I had it, my mind started coming around.  I started thinking I was going to do it, but I'd wait until I was eligible for Medicare, since Medicare covers it.  

Then I went to my last info seminar.  The surgeon was explaining all the benefits of WLS.  Luckily, I had no co-morbidities other than early onset arthritis, which was probably amazing given I was in my 50s, almost 400 lbs, and had been obese my entire life (I credit good genes and nutritious eating (too much food, obviously - but always nutritious food)).   Anyway, he went through the WLS stats - 80% remission of this, 100% remission of that, 50% reduction in this, vast improvement on this that and this, on and on.  That did it.  For a long time I'd had visions of dying of a heart attack - or having had one and lying in the ER on a gurney with people telling me I wouldn't survive if I didn't lose 200 lbs *right now*.   But..those stats!  There was my solution!  And I realized waiting for Medicare wasn't really an option - I might not be alive at 65 if I didn't go through with this.  SO...I bit the bullet and did it.  Changed to the really expensive insurance (figured I'd really only need to do it for a year or two, and then change back) and started the process.

Like so many have said, I wish I would have done it years ago - but then I don't think my head was 100% in it until I had these insights a year or so before my surgery.  I have been phenomenally successful with this surgery - beaten the odds, as so many on this site have - and I know without a doubt I wouldn't have been nearly as successful if I wasn't 100% in it.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 6:43 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I agree.  I often regret that I didn't go through with surgery earlier -- but then, like yourself, I realize that I wasn't in the right mindset then.  I also don't think I was ready and that I wouldn't have been nearly as successful.  

Laura in Texas
on 2/26/17 6:49 am

I had just adopted my second child and knew I needed to be the one to raise them to adulthood. I knew I would not be able to if I did not take control of my health. I had considered WLS for several years. We went to visit relatives and I had a long talk with my cousin who had had RNY 3 years earlier. She lost all her excess weight and was so vibrant and active. I knew right then and there I had to get surgery. I was finally ready.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 6:55 am
RNY on 12/31/13

More mama-love.  

NHPOD9
on 2/26/17 7:14 am

I suffered a traumatic experience at the hands of a serious boyfriend. It was a realization that he didn't love me; I was his feti**** was at that point I realized how miserable my life was. I was a spectacle wherever I went, I was in constant pain, and the man I had been discussing marriage with violated me horribly. What I wanted most, love and family, would probably never happen for me at my weight. So off I toddled to find a solution. Best decision I ever made! 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 7:31 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I'm sorry for your experience.  It's painful to be fetishized or objectified.  

Love to you.  

Most Active