What was your "light bulb moment"?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 6:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

peachpie
on 2/26/17 3:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Interesting to see so many realizations connceted to experiences with parents. Mine sort of was, among other reasons- but not like described. 

I think what finally wore me down to decide on WLS was having to have my thyroid removed. Having lived with Graves' disease for so long left me able to lose a little weight with with no effort. I knew that the thyroidectomy would make me hypothyroid and Even my endocrinologist warned me about weight gain. The idea behind gaining more scared me, and being hypothyroid created an uphill battle I just didn't want to have to fight. I wanted a level playing ground. My thyroidectomy was 3/2014, WLS was 4/2015. Of course I gave it a good ole 'do it on my own' try inbetween and failed. 

Now regarding me parents- they are both living. But there is nothing my Mom wants more in this life than to die. She has almost no joy for life. She even has DNR statements posted to the doors of her house. She is not sick (physically anyway). I know I want to live- and I have a zeal for life. I had WLS so I could better capture that zeal I have- and not turn into my mother. 

Finally- I was just tired of eating crap. It was getting old, and not enjoyable. But I was to weak to 'just stop' on my own. I wish I could say my high blood pressure, pre-diabetes opened my eyes-- but my doctors made them such a non issue in their care of me- that, while it bugged me, those concerns were never at the forefront. They are now though cause I want total health and fitness-- not just weight loss. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 6:08 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am so sorry that your mom feels the way she does.  I know that when we love someone, it can be really hard to cope with them harboring those feelings about their own life.  I am so glad that you do NOT feel the same way about YOUR life.

I actually feel angry that your doctors weren't more pro-active with you about your HBP and "pre" diabetes.  How absolutely crappy!!!  I am so glad you are so healthy now.  

peachpie
on 2/26/17 6:58 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'll say it always confused me that my doctors always swept the complications my weight caused under the rug-- and I took advantage of it. I'm sort of glad they did- cause I know had any of them been insistent about it or painted a doom and gloom scenario, I would have internalized it and ate more. The gentle whisper approach works much better for me. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/26/17 12:24 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm so sorry that your mom feels this way. My grandmother acted the same way. She was never happy. My mom didn't know what to do, my grandmother wouldn't get help. As a kid growing up I felt so sorry for her. She wouldn't let anyone touch her, she didn't want to wash, she dressed like a bag lady & would keep garbage in the room that we shared. Eventually she drank herself to death. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 1:32 pm

I think depression and agoraphobia run in families and the older generations just didn't get diagnosed or helped particularly women who were not essential breadwinners. 

I too had a GORGEOUS great-aunt a supermodel before there were any who lost her cheating-ass but loving husband in her early sixties and literally lived thirty more years barely going out of the house ... never mind finding a life or dating ( old dudes constantly tried to get her number from me in the supermarket lol ) 

undiagnosed depression is a bear !! 

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/26/17 4:29 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Breaks my heart Berry Sister, but I am so happy that it scared you enough to get serious and do what you had to do for yourself, your son and your family.  WLS is awesome, truly awesome.

My lightbulb came when I 7 years after my LapBand procedure, which was a huge failure no metter which way I look at it.  But I was sitting in my PCP's office with one of my kiddos and she looked at me dead in the eye and asked point blank why I didn't go back to my surgeon and have a revision to RNY (her recommended surgery to my back in 2006, which I stupidly ignored).  I said I was afraid of what life would be like for me with RNY when I was 50, 60 70 years old. 

She shook her haid and said "Ashley, you won't be alive then to worry about it if you don't fix this today."  

I had my revision 8 weeks later.  No regrets despite the complications and setbacks.  I would do it over every year if necessary.  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 6:29 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Thank god you did!  I'd be Berry Sister-less.  

Insert Fitness
on 2/26/17 4:47 am

i guess I did have a lightbulb moment of sorts. one day, after eating two drive thru meals pretty much back to back, and not feeling satisfied, and not even enjoying the taste anymore. I just thought, where does it end, just how much can I eat, and what does it mean that it doesn't even satisfy me, or taste good anymore. I was a bit like an addict looking for a stronger and stronger fix. And I realized maybe food wasn't it. I still don't know why that was the moment. It wasn't even close to my highest calorie day, or worst binge eating episode. But it was a moment of clarity. since then, it's like a burden was lifted. 

I still enjoy food and cooking is a hobby, but there's no urgency anymore. i don't really know why it's gone. And I know it can come back. That's why I drone on and on about behaviour change, and creating the right environment for long term success. I'm now well aware obesity is a lifelong condition, even if the weight is gone.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 6:30 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I feel exactly the same way.

I am a recovering food addict.

Most Active