What was your "light bulb moment"?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 2:45 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I can relate to your anger with how people of size are treated by the medical profession.  When I was obese -- everything was related to my obesity.  EVERYTHING.  

Migraines -- must be caused by weight and strain on your muscles.  Or hormones (you know, because if it's not fat causing it, it's my uterus/vagina.)  Stomach ache -- must be over-eating.  My fibromyalgia was also blamed on obesity -- funny since it hasn't improved since I've lost 219 pounds.  But no one took it seriously until I did.  I even had an emergency room doctor blame my hitting my thumb with a hammer on my weight!!  Seriously!!

I had a sleep apnea DX with an AHI of 71, I believe, so pretty close to yours.  I also slept with my machine religiously -- and it also helped my migraines immensely.  I had snored terribly and was the butt of jokes for it since I was a kid.  I wasn't obese until my late teens and not morbidly obese until my mid-20's.  

I am happy to report that around 6 months I had to go in to be tested again because it was definitely set to high -- and found that I no longer needed the machine at all.  I was re-tested (because I was scared it was an anomaly -- have I mentioned I am a Type A?) -- and it confirmed that I don't need it any longer.  My husband spent a long time shaking me awake thinking I wasn't breathing because I am SO quiet now when I sleep.  I hope you have the same luck in your future, or at the very least, your doctors listen and work with you better.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Miss Liss
on 2/26/17 5:57 pm

My dad had food issues and died  at 68 yrs old from complications caused from obesity and diabetes.  He had just started feeling the effects on his life when my daughter was born 15 yrs ago. I knew I had the same food addiction as he did. I wanted it to stop with him and my life be different and wanted my daughter to grow up with a healthy example.  So, I made the decision to have WLS and get therapy.  Here I am 13 years later at a healthy weight and no diabetes. Yay.

happyteacher
on 2/26/17 6:57 pm, edited 2/26/17 10:57 am

These are some really powerful stories ya'll. Love everyone 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

iloveravens
on 2/26/17 8:23 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

My turning point.

I was assaulted at a hotel in early 2014. Basically I couldn't believe that this guy wa****ting on me, I thought we were just having friendly banter. Until he followed me to my room on my last night there and attacked me in the hallway. I remember being in disbelief. I had become so accustomed to hating my body, that I would have never thought anyone (but my boyfriend) would find me attractive. 

I came home from that trip and decided on WLS. I was ashamed of the fact that I hated myself so much. 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

x0xm0lly
on 2/27/17 10:05 am

unfortunately mine was when I saw my wedding photos...I felt so beautiful the day of and almost thought of not having a photographer because I thought I would look horrible. I realized then that I was cutting out a huge part of my life and my happiness, my husband looked thrilled in each photo but I wasn't, so I finally knew it was time

okiepirate
on 3/1/17 8:47 am
VSG on 11/08/14

Coming back from the Sugar Bowl Game in 2014 I started getting light flashes in the corner of my eye.  I was afraid I was having a stroke.  Turns out the flashes were a type of ocular migraine but may have been stress induced.  My doc said "this is like a warning light on your dashboard...you got to get the weight off."  Then I got blown off on a date for being fat.  So I joined WW.  I had some success, but it wasn't as easy as when I was younger.  Then I hurt myself trying to jog.  Sometime in June I was listening to a podcast and they got into the obesity problem and they said the best cure was WLS.  I remember saying "BS."  But I looked it up and sure as heck they were correct.  And that is what started the journey.

Most Active