What was your "light bulb moment"?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 12:47 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

OMG, your story broke my heart.  I know she's just a teenager --- but god, that had to hurt your feelings.  I am so sorry.  

My husband mentioned to me once a few years ago, that there would come a time that my son would get teased by someone because of my weight.  He didn't say it mean, we were discussing things honestly.  I remember a huge lump in my throat, but I didn't want him to know that his saying that devastated me inside.  I knew that wasn't his intention, but we are very honest with each other.  It hurt because I knew he was right.

I recently referred to that conversation and my husband didn't even remember it -- but felt terrible when he realized it hurt me so.  That's when my son piped in, "I never cared when someone said something mean about you -- I knew they were not worth my time if they made fun of my mom."  He didn't realize that he had just outed that my husband had been right.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 2/26/17 11:35 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Mine came when I thought that I had ovarian cancer. My OBGYN was almost certain it was. When the pathology came back negative she told me that my obesity was a major factor combined with my BRCA1+ gene and that it wasn't a question of IF but WHEN I would be getting ovarian cancer. Having had cancer once that scared the **** out of me. She suggested bariatric surgery - the first person to ever suggest it to me.

That was 11/2014. I was in my education class 01/2015 and had surgery 03/2015.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 12:56 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am just glad you are a survivor!  I am so lucky to have found you and that we are friends (even though we are just far enough away to make it nearly impossible to get together physically often.)

On a personal note (that is absolutely NONE of my business), I just hope that if you ever wish to have children, that you adopt.  The world needs strong, smart, and empathetic mothers -- and if you desire to be a mother one day -- I hope you do so.  

mute
on 2/26/17 1:54 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Yes! I'm so glad to have made the friends here and lucky to have you in my life and that includes if we can only get together almost never :)

I feel strongly about adoption that it's an amazing thing and we decided a long time ago that if we decide we want to be parents adoption is absolutely the route we will be taking. Right now we don't think we want to be parents but know we're still young and could change our minds!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 1:57 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am sure whatever you decide will be right for you.  

kalkidan62003
on 2/26/17 2:17 pm
VSG on 12/26/17

No light bulb moments for me, just tired of being unhappy. Like some of you, i lost my mom. She had juvenile diabetes and her health steadily got worse as she got older. I lost her in 2005 when i was 16. I, too, remember it like it was yesterday, remember the day, time, and arguing with her. She was about to go to a dialysis appt but she was complaining about her chest hurting. I got mad at her because im not a doctor, she was about to go to a doctor, just wait it out. Well she went into a coma and died a month later,  due to a heart attack. I along with my brothers have been mentally messed up ever since. They turned to crime, I turned to food. My life has basically been put on hold because i dont see the point in living because she wont be able to see it. Now im about 320lbs and am seeing a therapist. Im pre diabetic and have bad knees, but nothing too bad. I have nieces now and want to be around for them. They are really the only reason im pursuing this. I hope through being on this site and seeing my therapist that I'm able to grieve and do what i have to, to lose the weight. I wish all of you success in your endeavors. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 2:31 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

First off, a big huge hug to you.    I am so sorry you lost your mom -- and at such a young age.  I cannot imagine how hard that must of been for you.

Secondly, I am so glad that you are pursuing getting healthier and working on your grief.  Grief is such a personal thing -- and while we are in it's grasp, it can be hard to believe that we can ever be happy again.    

I haven't lost my mom, only my father, but even if I had, I can't begin to know your grief and loss.  However, as a mother I can tell you this:  the very thought that my child would feel like there was no point in continuing because I wasn't there to see it would break my heart.  I would never ever ever want my son to feel that way, and something tells me that your mother wouldn't want you to see your life that way either.  

I wish you every success in your upcoming journey.  What a wonderful tribute you will give to your mother's life by finding joy in yours again.  Love to you.

::hug::

kalkidan62003
on 2/26/17 2:53 pm
VSG on 12/26/17

Thank you. That means a lot. :)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 3:04 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 2:26 pm