What are you afraid of (just curious)

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/17 4:30 am

I'm terrified of rock climbing which is very unfortunate when you like to hike these days ( there are way too many climb- it or turn back obstacles on the serious trails) 

i think the fear comes from failing to be able to pull myself up when I was heavier.

ive never been very strong in my upper body and was mortified by my fear once climbing with a group in the Adirondacks where house sized glacial boulders are common obstacles . We were trying to hike seven peaks in one day - everyone completed the trail except the crying non- climber who was forced to turn back .  Haven't been back to the Adirondacks since ! 

Pokemom
on 2/25/17 10:15 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Oh I hope you will go back! 

I totally understand the feeling of avoiding things.  I am going through that a little right now.  I wrote elsewhere on the forum that I am currently less than two weeks out from a surgery to fix my Achilles tendon.  This is a chronic injury--7 years ago--the lack of activity fro this pushed me from overweight to obese to MO.  I had thought (and been told) that it would not get better.  I had worked with at least 8 different surgeons and worked extensively with at least 8 different physical therapists and done other weird stuff.  I was just thrilled when this recent surgeon said he felt he could help me.  He was kind of my last-effort visit--I tried to find the most expert surgeon I could and had to wait 3 mos for a consult--he is in charge of the foot/ankle program at the medical school/university a little bit away from my home.  So I have great hope for the future I thought I had lost!  I find though, after 7 years, that I naturally think "Oh I will never do that."  It is like I mourned so long the loss of things I wanted to do, then finally mostly accepted those losses through a constant stream of self talk, to where I just assume I cannot do things--it has become an internalized thing.  Now, I realize, that in a year, after recovery from this surgery, I will not be physically so limited, but psychologically, I will have to do a lot of work too--physical therapy for my brain.

xoxo

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 8:33 am, edited 2/26/17 12:34 am

I totally understand what you're saying Pokemom about facing your fears to conquer them .

But what really scares me about going back to try the Adirondacks  is  I somehow ( shaking) climbed the first two house sized boulders ( with my friends' kind help ) and when I  faced the three story high no handholds no safety net just *****s in the rock to hold onto next one I just couldn't attempt it . 

Then I had to turn back alone because I didn't want to hold the group back ... and I had to climb down alone backwards and blind on those two huge boulders . I literally sat at the feet of one crying until people came along who I figured would get help if I got injured. 

I sound like a huge coward right ? I totally admire you for being so persistent fixing your hurt Achilles' tendon. I'm sure you will come roaring back when you're finally physically able :) 

happyteacher
on 2/25/17 6:06 am

I can tolerate being in a car going over a suspension bridge, but I can't do the driving. The Mackinac bridge here in Michigan scares the hell out of me. My dad and I when I was a kid damn near got blown of that bridge one day, and a Yugo (I think Yugo) did get blown over. ugh.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 2/25/17 6:36 pm

No way in hell would I cross one of those rickety-ass bridges. I am not even sure I could walk across a reasonably narrow one with walls that are 4 feet tall made out of sturdy cement.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jenorama
on 2/24/17 11:14 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I don't like hot things by my hands, specifically things on fire.  If you give me a sparkler to hold, I will hold it by the very very end with the very tips of my thumb and forefinger.  I love campfires, but I will never be the one to reach into the fire and push a piece of wood or put another one in.  

Jen

happyteacher
on 2/25/17 6:37 pm

I would just call that common sense :) 

odie
on 2/25/17 2:53 am
RNY on 05/26/14

Snakes, birds and heights, in that order!!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/25/17 3:23 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Heights, snakes, and swimming in deep/dark water at night (think of the movie Jaws in the scene when the girl was swimming at night).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/17 4:37 am

Nobody mentioned sharks! Sometimes I'll be swimming for exercise in the ocean and then I'll start thinking.. did I feel a change in the current or even something brush against my leg ? Then I'll start looking for fins ! 

The worst part is sharks really do come in to even shallow water and within feet of playing children - I've seen it many times from my parents tenth floor waterfront condo in Florida . So a swimmer like me who is paddling like a sea turtle ( sharks favorite prey) further out really would get a lot of shark attention. 

Luckily most of them just smell but don't bite - but you never know when you'll cross paths with a hungry or old one ... yikes ! 

Most Active