Patch Vitamin Update

NYMom222
on 2/24/17 12:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

So I went for blood work yesterday and have a well visit physical with my PCP on Tuesday. I get a call today that my vitamin D is too high and to stop it until I see her.

So Background: I have been Vit D deficient for more than a decade pre-WLS. No matter what I took, it wouldn't move into normal, borderline at best even at 5,000 mg a day.

When I first had WLS July 2014, and was researching vitamins I discovered liquid Vit D. I started the liquid, Over my first year, as I had many blood works...I ended on raising it based on those bloodworks to 20,000mg a day...which sounds like an incredible amount but that put me in  normal. I have been hanging there for a long time- 20,000mg a day/normal not high normal, like 40-50.

I have been on the multivitamin patch for a year, which did raise it slightly to put me over the 50% of normal but not significantly. Last summer I started the calcium patch because I was always forgetting my calcium..which has 2,000 mg of Vit D. I did not think to reduce the liquid because I was at 66 and top of normal is 100. Plenty of room to play with? or so I thought.

So it came back 113...my only other theory is I didn't bring my liquid D for my vacation last week, so I bought the Vit D patch for the trip.The Vit D patch has 5,000. I do not know how quickly Vit D can change in your system. So for about 2 weeks I was taking 7,000mg via patch and no liquid.

I am always very careful on watching repeats of vitamins in different pills...but didn't see this coming. Unfortunately I will have no way of knowing if it was the vacation patches or the calcium+liquid D. I do not seem to have any symptoms of Vit D toxicity....

I will see what the Doc says Tuesday....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

seattledeb
on 2/24/17 1:49 pm

Good luck figuring all that out.

I have never been over on Vit D. I'm lucky to get in the lower range of normal.

NYMom222
on 2/24/17 5:02 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Well that was me for 10+ years until I started the liquid 

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

seattledeb
on 2/24/17 6:59 pm

I did the liquid for a couple of years. One day I just couldn't take another dose of it.

happyteacher
on 2/24/17 2:14 pm

Dang! It is crazy how much better I absorb iron from the patch. Only thing literally that could get the iron up into a normal range. I was also d deficient, and my labs after 4 weeks had the d just a tick below the cutoff for normal. I hope all is good. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

crqvingchange
on 2/24/17 8:17 pm

Thanks for posting this.  I never think to check how much total Vit D I am taking.  There is some in my protein shake, with my calcium chews, in my multivitamin, and I also take a Vitamin D chew.  I think I had better get the calculator out.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/17 5:41 am

What about other vitamins- minerals? 

At where you are it is not really toxic yet.  

From what I read - and research- too much vit D together with taking mega doses of calcium can cause calcium deposits in the body (veins, arteries, joints, etc) if the person does not take other minerals- vitamins to push that calcium into the bones.  (We need K2, magnesium, boron, etc etc..) too much D can cause imbalances and too much calcium if calcium is heavily supplemented. 

D is actually a hormone.... And lately it is also linked to our immunity. Better D - less colds and upper respiratory infections... Or cancer...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 2/25/17 8:11 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes, I researched more after this...and while high certainly not toxic....

I have a feeling in some ways it may have been a perfect storm- I switched to the Vitamin D patch for vacation- 5,000, Calcium patch-2,000, and Multi Patch-5,000 - So 12,000mg I'm actually absorbing as opposed to through my digestive track...was on that for 2 weeks as I went to DC as well...plus a week of sunshine near the equator, came back from DC and went for bloodwork right away and Boom!

There is K2 in the calcium patch. I take both Magnesium Glycinate and Magnesium Oxide at night(for bathroom reasons)

Yes I have read about the immunity and the cancer as well. I remember my first bloodwork after WLS one of the Bariatric Docs looked at my bloodwork and I asked about my D- it was 30. The lowest number of 'normal' and he was like- you are fine. That was before I found he liquid.

Save

Save

KristenLe
on 2/27/17 12:10 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

I'm interested in you having good results from the Patch.  My pharmacist (associated with my PCP) told me to stop using them after he did some research.  Are you using the Multi-Vitamin patch too?   

Most Active