It Friday ..let's ***** about life after we had WLS.. what don't you like about it?

KittyKarin
on 2/24/17 10:32 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

I don't know how much more weight I want to lose.  I am 2 pounds from my original goal of 190 but that seems really high to me now. I feel like I should now go lower into the 180s.  However, I don't want to go too much lower because I think my skin is going to hang off of me like a freakin flying squirrel.  I don't have the money or desire to have plastic surgery so this is what it is.  I'm working on loving my body, stretch marks and crinkly thighs included, but it's EFFING HARD.  Why didn't someone tell me I wasn't going to look like Kate Upton after losing 170 lbs?!?!? OK, they did but I didn't care and still don't because its definitely worth it. 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

NickNack
on 2/24/17 10:42 am - Knoxville, TN

The only thing I don't like about it at this point is my arms.  I wish I could have plastic surgery.  I have to wear elbow length tops in the summer, and would love to be able to wear short sleeves or sleeveless.  I don't mind not being able to eat very much, and I love being thin. I've gotten used to just expecting to eat half my meal and take the other half home when eating out. 

I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis, and if gastric bypass has anything to do with that, that's discouraging.  I'm having my surgeon do my blood work next month and will see where I stand as far as that at that time.

Lap RNY August 27, 2007
Age 60 Height 5' 5"
SW228/CW130/GW135

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 4:27 am, edited 2/27/17 6:25 pm

Yes it does and you have to get a handle on it ASAP !! 

Basically the way I understand it the surgery gives you a tendency to lose bone mass ( including teeth!!! Yikes 

Bariatric patients  can and do take lots of calcium/magnesium/ vitamin D but these pills can also hurt you by hardening your arteries so it's a risk. 

I've had to experiment a lot pre and post surgery because the ( usually tiny boned ) females in my family get painful and permanent spinal breaks really early and severe osteoporosis diagnoses routinely. 

My answer is prescription aldetronate ( fossamax) once every two weeks and calcium pills when my body tells me I need them ( posture D or citramax petites ) I also drink a ton of fat free powdered milk and cook with it also fat free ricotta yogurt sour cream and cheeses. 

Meat consumption can leach calcium from your bones as will a high protein diet one of the many reasons I'm a part time vegetarian. Good luck and please keep us informed about what you find works for you . I just had a Dexa scan and it came back " normal " 

which is a win for me :) 

Insert Fitness
on 2/24/17 10:56 am
  • Constipation!! 
  • Bras shopping! That's been tortuous. I need Smaller band size, but the excess skin needs wrangling. And sports bras are a whole process.
  • saying obesity is a chronic lifelong condition is one thing. Now I really know it, and sometimes wish I could pretend that the weight loss meant a cure.
  • Just today, for the first time since surgery:beer. Our city has a huge brewer community. They've been great supporters of our fundraiser tomorrow and I just spent the morning picking up prizes and donations and I'd like to sit and have a pint.
  • being an easier guest would be nice. i mean, give me some meat, I'm good, but i know as host you want to be accommodating.
  • supplements. I wasn't on any kind of meds pre op, so being chained to my vitamins can get annoying. 
  • Buying new clothes is fun, but shrinking out something you really like is weirdly disappointing.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/24/17 11:34 am

I wish quality bras were cheaper.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 12:14 pm

I found one- really cheap.. and very comfortable. In Walmart... in all places...I am waiting to see how well it keeps long term...  wire free...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/17 5:01 am

There are these wonderful stretchy all cotton underwire bras at Walmart for around seven dollars each . You can't dry them in a drier or you kill the elasticity- otherwise they last a long time. 

My only pet peeve is the smallest band size they sell is 34 and it's very rare to find 34s . 

If your body's changing or old bras don't fit my advice is to grab one cup size smaller than you think you need too and several cup sizes in a smaller band size than you think you need . 

When you try on put on a tight white t shirt over the result and see which bra fits best for both your front and your back view. 

For me as tight as I can stand under the boobs works and whichever cup size doesn't spill over . These bras have no padding but truly make the boobies look perky without it ! 

Rachel B.
on 2/24/17 2:06 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Soma are great and last a long time

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 11:36 am

over last few years I found only a few bras that look good on me, my boobs look good in them... and  I don't feel like by the end of the day I want to rip them off, cut in little pieces and set on fire....while I laugh hysterically....

one of them is a cheap bra from Walmart...wire free.. very comfy..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Roach
on 2/24/17 11:27 am - OH
VSG on 05/25/16
  • Clothes shopping, takes WAY TOO LONG now that I am in a normal size and there is actually a selection to choose from. (note sarcasm)
  • The ole' tailbone does get a tad sore, since it has dramatically less cushioning.
  • Miralax is now my best buddy.

There may be a thing or two that are inconveniences but I wouldn't change things for the world! I could easily list a 100 things on the plus side, WLS has given me the opportunity to take back control.

Most Active