Kitchen gadgets that no longer get love?

catwoman7
on 2/24/17 7:26 am
RNY on 06/03/15

like others, my Kitchen Aid stand mixer.  I used to bake bread a lot, and it was great for kneading.  Haven't used it in over two years, so it's moved from my counter to storage.

same with rice cooker.  I used to make Asian dishes a lot (Chinese, Japanese, Indian).  I still do - but without the rice.  I have two rice cookers, in fact - a small one for just us, and a giant one for dinner parties.  Both are in storage.

I also own two or three slow cookers (one is mine - two were given to me).  Now that I have my Instant Pot, these may rarely - or never - be used again, either.

I don't have a toaster oven, but I have two microwaves.  I still use our small one for reheating things.  I also have a giant one in the basement that I bought in the early 80's - back when they were new and a big selling point at the time was that certain ones were "big enough to cook a turkey in!"  (like who the hell would want to cook a turkey in a microwave??).  Anyway, the one in my basement is one of those turkey-sized ones.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

odie
on 2/24/17 7:58 am
RNY on 05/26/14

My deep fryer!!  Now we only use the Big Boss Air Fryer!!  Way healthier and faster, plus everything tastes better!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/17 5:55 am

Really ? I've been toying with the idea of buying an air fryer . Truth be told though I never ate fried food before ... don't they use some oil? Are they good for like panko coated fried vegetables ? 

odie
on 2/25/17 6:41 am
RNY on 05/26/14

Anything you can cook in the oven you can cook in the air fryer!!  No oil, sometimes i add something like chicken broth, just to add flavour.  For meat, they recommend spraying the racks with oil for easier cleanup.  Wings come out crispy and juicy with no oil!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/17 7:42 am

Cool!!! I had no idea :) now I'll definitely buy one : " fried" zucchini slices eggplant Parmesan here I come ... 

roxytrim
on 2/24/17 8:01 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Bread maker...long gone.

Use your KA with grinder attachment to grind your own meat. I've been using mine for years - never get preground with who knows what in it.  I like to blend beef flavours like chuck or short rib is very robust and combine with sirloin for the best meat patty.

Also love love my Breville toaster convection oven. Roast meats, broil chicken wings, bake...oh yea toast and reheat.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 8:08 am

Toaster? I have a toaster oven - convection or bake... It can also toast bread. Or waffles. But we use it more like small convection oven for things.

Ice cream maker - I sold it. I have dairy allergies. 

Nuwave oven (sp?)  - I used that a couple of times. Needs to sell it. 

Have a small fryer that I never used. But I am looking at air fryers... Ugh..

Quesadilla maker - I only used that once for honey. 

Juicer - I had a supper supper Green machine. I used it before RNY. I finally sold it. Or rather traded for a set of 6 massages. 

GF grill - we used that a lot. Now ..Meh...

Since I got the IP - my Crock-Pot is used at parties. To keep the food hot as people come and go. And I just bought another one - small one - from a GW. Great to keep my signature mushroom sauce hot. 

Non kitchen gadgets: Treadmill- I have it. I hate using it. I rather walk outside. We wil Keep it. Need it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/17 10:05 am
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 10:20 am

I make Quesadilla for "Honey" as in for my "partner" lol....I call him Honey...even when I do remember his name...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/17 10:26 am
Most Active