My 600-lb. Life What comes first? The anger and obesity or obesity and the anger?

Donna L.
on 2/23/17 11:03 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Anger is an interesting emotion.  I consider it to be a secondary emotion in a lot of ways. Often anger is actually pain, depression, fear, or guilt, really.  The anger is just how it looks.

I was very angry for a long time.  It seeped into my bones, and I struggled with it forever.  I went to the hospital at 750+ pounds severely depressed and that started my process of looking hard at what I was doing to myself.  I, too, survived trauma, and became obese.

Anger always makes me pause.  I've learned to appreciate it in some ways.  I ask my anger what it's trying to tell me.  Often it means I need to stand up for myself (or get over myself, ha).

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/23/17 11:05 am
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kathy S.
on 2/23/17 11:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Donna,

You have done amazing and such an inspiration.  I am not sure if you saw the episode but his anger played such a key part of how he handled or should I say not handle and didn't even realize it!  Keep doing what you are doing!!!!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Donna L.
on 2/23/17 1:01 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I didn't, but I'll definitely check it out!  Thanks for posting about it!  I may have to see if it's on Hulu...

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Kathy S.
on 2/23/17 1:33 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It was a good example Donna on how his anger was affecting so many in his family.  His wife had enough and she had one foot out the door.  Let me know what you think after you watch it.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Donna L.
on 2/24/17 10:23 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I actually enjoy watching My 600 Pound Life.  It is very sad, too, though.

As a counselor, I really wish that they would incorporate counseling from day 1 for the more severe cases, especially.  If only for support.

I will try to see if it's on Hulu later!

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/17 10:32 am
Kristi T.
on 2/24/17 10:12 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I like how you ask your anger what it is trying to tell you.  Instead of just identifying it, you follow through with how it may help you.  I think I am going to use that, thank you Donna L.!

Donna L.
on 2/24/17 10:25 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I used to be very bad with anger.  It was destroying me slowly, and it's a big part of why I ate.  In my case, my depression always manifests as anger first.  When I get irritable, I am actually starting to have a depressive episode.

I have learned through many years of getting counseling that no emotions are bad.  They are all there to tell us something - even anger and anxiety.  They help us survive and experience life.  I used to resent them.  I am not always sucecssful, mind you!!  But growth is a lifelong process for me :)

Notaboutperfect
on 2/23/17 12:53 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

I didn't see the show, but I do identify with the posts here.  Food is definitely a panacea for me as well.  I entered into an abusive and scary relationship and that is when my weight blossomed.  Anger was part of it, but mostly isolation and fear.  I was so lonely and empty, but food filled me up.  And, I used to love going to restaurants all by myself.  I could stay away from "home" and be in the presence of other "regular" people.  Ugh.  Thank goodness for good therapists! 

Most Active