Transfer addiction - shopping

-Flo-
on 2/22/17 7:00 am
DS on 04/11/16

I go through spurts where I buy alot, then I settle down for a little while. Sometimes, it makes me worry but then I go into my closet and see that I really only have a few outfits to choose from.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/17 8:31 am, edited 2/22/17 12:32 am

I don't care how cute the shoes are... I am a practical *****   

when tempted by things like that as I was losing weight  I would pull my lose skin on top of my pants- look at that - and ...put that money into my "PS account".  

Over last few years had all plastics that I wanted to have...Plus I still can afford laser treatment for my rosecea.  My friend used to say "peanuts make elephant...." little bit here, little bit there... all adds up.  

I had some health issues over the years- so my last PS- face lift had to wait - since some of my "savings" were used when I had to pay medical bills. 

is you DH planing to have WLS? if he has any complications and he can't work for a month or 2 - do you guys have enough savings or credit cards to pay the bills in case you need that?   If i did not- that would scare me more than simple CC bills.. But then I've been there.. and still deal with stuff like that even today

Even my last car accident I was in - not my fault - but I need the money for doc visits, MRI, chiro, massages.. etc...I ma sure I get the money back eventually - but in a meantime I need the treatments to function.  I was very happy that I had money "saved" just for things like that.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/22/17 8:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am going to address this from the point of view that you called it a transfer addiction.  

I see a lot of people on here enabling what you've labeled addictive behavior.  You are spending money that you do not have using a credit card that will accrue interest in addition -- for something you do not need, but just want.  You have described it as you can't "keep from buying more."  This is very similar to me to our other shared addiction of binge eating.  

Addictions are serious things that need addressed.

Spending money that you really do not have is not a harmless problem.  It can put your family at risk by causing financial stress, marital strain, lack of funds for future emergencies, lack of funds for future college tuitions, etc.  It means you have to work more at jobs you may not find fulfilling.  It can be a compulsion that is anything but victimless.  If we are making payments on anything -- we are poor.  If you already have credit card debt and just added to it -- you really cannot afford those shoes.

You described it as a transfer addiction.  I think it's great you recognize there's a problem. I find it disingenuous not to ask you now what you intend to do about it.  

If you had said your transfer addiction was alcohol, drugs, smoking or even sex -- I doubt all these people would be so flippant about it.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/22/17 8:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Deanna798
on 2/22/17 8:56 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I agree.  This post is "funny" in that we all laugh about it, but it really is a serious issue that I have.  I have brought it up with my therapist, and while we haven't had an in depth conversation about it yet, because we've kinda been focusing on the eating and even on the drinking of alcohol, it's something that I've addressed with her and I'm actively trying to work on.  

I made this post last night because I was actually feeling sick to my stomach that I ordered both pairs of shoes.  We laugh and say how cute they are, but I really can't be spending $125 on these shoes right now.  While my post was made in a lighthearted manner, it really is a cry for help on this.

I've decided that when I get the shoes (they've already shipped and will be here in a few days), I'm going to return at least one pair, if not both.  I REALLY have been wanting the bacon and eggs shoes, so I may end of keeping those ones this time, but the other ones are definitely going back.

I see my therapist on Friday.  I'm definitely going to be addressing this issue.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/22/17 9:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm glad to hear that you're talking about your drinking. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/22/17 9:01 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am so happy to read this.  Truthfully, I felt so frustrated by this thread because I did read your post (and some of your others) as cries for help.  

I know you are an intelligent person, and you are struggling right now.  I see it-- I see you -- and it's really hard to watch someone who is struggling and not be able to help them.  I also know you use humor as your shield. 

Look, I get it.  At least I do with the BED -- and I know it's so damn hard when we lose our vices and it's so easy to jump from thing to thing to try to alleviate that discomfort.  

I am thrilled you will talk with her on Friday.  Just know I that I know it isn't funny or lighthearted.  

You can do this Deanna.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Laura in Texas
on 2/22/17 10:45 am

I'm glad you are addressing this. We care about you, Deanna!! 

Honestly, it took me until the 3-4 year mark for my emotions to settle down. I felt like I was absolute complete mess with everything until then. Now I feel like a "normal-within-reason" mess. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/17 9:35 am
Deanna798
on 2/22/17 9:50 am
RNY on 08/04/15

LOL, I think that it's kinda my life in general right now.  I started a new job 3 months ago that has more than doubled my commute, my husband travels for business unexpected and often, I have a 3 year old, a 17 year old and a 14 week old puppy that we're potty training.

I'm just a little stressed out.

Honestly, reading these posts this morning, along with some stuff that is ******g me off at work today, has really set off my anxiety in an extreme way.

I have a meeting in 10 minutes with my supervisor to do my annual review from last year (I was here for a month, lol) and I dread it, even though I know I've only been here for 90 days and there isn't anything bad to talk about. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active