A question for vets. Apple Cider Vinegar.

Kathy S.
on 2/21/17 8:36 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I am sure others have wondered about this too, good question.  

Do you guys remember the grapefruit and vinegar diet a few years back?  Yep I think it was from the 60's.  It really does come down to how much in, how much burned doesn't it?

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

* Nicole *
on 2/21/17 9:09 am, edited 2/21/17 1:09 am

Oh it works alright......

Makes many feel ill to their stomach so nope they wont eat and will consume less. 

Others it does nothing 

(Types the above while consuming tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and garlic in vinegar. I love me some vinegar, especially that salad above and pickles)

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/17 8:22 pm

I would definitely use a straw with lemon juice vinegar anything acidic is not good for your tooth enamel ! 

I adore drinking pickle juice too - maybe I'm just an " acid freak " lol

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/17 9:24 am

ACV can be a great stuff. If you need it. but I woudl only use organic, with mother ACV.  If one is not careful - it can cause teeth decay (acid) 

if you drink taht instead of ..high calorie drink.. it can help with digestion, and assimilation of proteins and fats. 

it is not recommended if someone has candida.. or yeast overgrowth, or SIBO or is allergic to apples ..or.... 

so.. - try it- see how you feel... but rinse your mouth with non acidic drinks after... and don't brush your teeth right after you slowly sipped the ACV water...

everything in moderation.. even moderation...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lipsticklady
on 2/21/17 10:40 am
VSG on 05/14/13
On February 21, 2017 at 5:24 PM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

ACV can be a great stuff. If you need it. but I woudl only use organic, with mother ACV.  If one is not careful - it can cause teeth decay (acid) 

if you drink taht instead of ..high calorie drink.. it can help with digestion, and assimilation of proteins and fats. 

it is not recommended if someone has candida.. or yeast overgrowth, or SIBO or is allergic to apples ..or.... 

so.. - try it- see how you feel... but rinse your mouth with non acidic drinks after... and don't brush your teeth right after you slowly sipped the ACV water...

everything in moderation.. even moderation...

Thank you. I'm not looking to be a diet "aide",  but from what I have heard it helps level out sugar.  My dad is diabetic, so...

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/17 10:51 am

Well... For BS issues not sure if ACV is the right things.  Not sure how that can work on it except new theories link gut disbiota with blood sugar issues and there are new studies that trying to "fix" diabetes by normalizing gut bacteria.  ACV can help with that .... It better digestion assimilation - thus preventing food fermyentation in the gut.  Fermentation in the gut us not good.

Are you having low BS? High BS? Fluctuations in BS? Why? Etc etc.... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/21/17 10:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The evidence that ACV-- in particular the acid contained therein-- levels out blood sugar is limited to research on very small numbers of participants and shows mixed results. Use with caution.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lipsticklady
on 2/21/17 10:57 am
VSG on 05/14/13

That's the kind of answer I was seeking! Thanks.  

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Sai F.
on 2/21/17 10:52 am
VSG on 09/02/16

Not sure about WLS (only study I've read is a 2009 study) but I've been a vinegar nut since the day I was born, and well... You know my story, I had to have WLS.  I do wonder if it's why I never liked sweet stuff (i.e. cravings) but it may just be... because. lol I switched to ACV a couple of years ago since I heard it has more enzymes, blahblahblah. 

ACV is good for you in moderation, and I have heard it helps for acid reflux if taken diluted before meals, and great for the heart (contains malic acid).

Good luck in your research, and keep us posted. ^^

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/17 11:25 am - CA

I am assuming that by asking for vets input, you are looking for info from those people who are far enough out from surgery that may have experience regain and opted to use this method to lose the regain.   I have had regain, but have never opted to use this method.  However, I did have a friend that after having RNY and only losing 80 lbs during the first 24 mos, decided to use this method to lose her additional weight.  She swore that it gave her energy and she felt like she was losing weight, but at the end of 6 mos, she had lost none of her additional weight and even put on maybe 15 lbs.  I just don't see how this can work.  Even though there are so many people who say they have lost weight on it, but you can never find anyone who can really contribute weight loss to the ACV.  

Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Nik  

Most Active