A question for vets. Apple Cider Vinegar.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/21/17 6:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Not a vet, but I DO know how to find appropriately science-minded sources :)

Bottom line is that it's almost entirely hype, with very little substance to back up the miraculous claims.

There have been a couple of studies showing positive benefit, but there's no way to tell if it was from the acetic acid in the vinegar, or the whole thing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 2/21/17 7:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks for bringing the science :)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lipsticklady
on 2/21/17 10:37 am
VSG on 05/14/13

Yes, you can find anything on the Internet to support any side of any discussion, wouldn't you agree?  I was hoping for some personal experience.  

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

on 2/21/17 10:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There's plenty of personal experience all over the Internet, as you've mentioned. Doesn't mean that it's scientifically valid or worth listening to :)

Lipsticklady
on 2/21/17 10:54 am
VSG on 05/14/13
On February 21, 2017 at 6:50 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Hag of Science wrote:

There's plenty of personal experience all over the Internet, as you've mentioned. Doesn't mean that it's scientifically valid or worth listening to :)

Can't disagree with that! I figured a place like this that is built around WLS and dietary concerns would be the appropriate place to reach out. 

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/17 8:18 pm, edited 2/27/17 7:11 pm

My personal experience is that ( red ) wine works to keep some waist fat off (,which is scientifically proven) . I think the ACV works very similarly to alkalinize the body ( which is a weird because like wine it  is an acid ) . 

Meat and fat acidify the body - alkalinizing is supposed to balance out the ph and keep the body from holding onto fat and poisons . 

I do know models who drink lemon juice in ho****er every morning .. and quite a few actresses who swear by juice cleanses including Apple Cider Vinegar sometimes. 

Lipsticklady
on 2/21/17 2:12 pm, edited 2/21/17 6:14 am
VSG on 05/14/13
On February 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Hag of Science wrote:

Not a vet, but I DO know how to find appropriately science-minded sources :)

Bottom line is that it's almost entirely hype, with very little substance to back up the miraculous claims.

There have been a couple of studies showing positive benefit, but there's no way to tell if it was from the acetic acid in the vinegar, or the whole thing.

Just got a chance to read your articles and it sounds like ACV may help with what I was looking for -- blood sugar levels.  It also helps with cholesterol, a problem I do not have, thankfully!

No decisions are made on just two articles but I definitely appreciate you posting this these.  :)

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/17 7:42 am

Apple cider vinegar is good to rinse your hair with. It gets all of the build up. From using so much product and stuff from shampoo.

on 2/21/17 7:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yeah, vinegar is great for cleaning! Works great on puppy messes.

Fredbear
on 2/21/17 8:32 am, edited 2/21/17 12:47 am
VSG on 11/29/16

It's just more nonsense from the same crowd that gave us the Cabbage Soup Diet, the *miracle* açai berry, and all that other crap. 

My favorite claim about it that was touted is "it helps reduce stomach acid!" Really, adding *an acid* to an acidic stomach environment is going to reduce the acidity? Special kind of stupid right there, really.

Ignore it. Stick to science and stay away from the unbelievable ignorance of the Pin(-head)terest crowd. 

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Most Active