Frustrated with dehydration

cabin111
on 2/20/17 8:39 pm

Ditto what others have said...Water, sodium, potassium.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason WLS people reenter the hospital.  Many just go in...Get the IV (water sodium/potassium) and come out better.

I've asked the local bariatric surgeon years ago..."Why not have the WLS patients come back in two weeks post op and get an IV in their office"?  I was thinking more RNY at the time.  He said the reason they don't do it is because they are concerned about getting the IV going and air bubbles in the IV.  If they occurred, you would want to have an emergency room there to take care of any issues that were to pop up.  Just paraphrasing his words.

Don't forget foods rich in potassium; apricots, avocados, bananas, cantaloupe, kidney beans, lima beans, milk, mushrooms, oranges/orange juice, peas, prunes, raisins, spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, yogurt.  I keep this list on the wall in front of me for occasions like this. 

One last thought...Wendy's Chili.  I'm a one trick pony on this one...I preach it.  You have the sodium, potassium (beans), and protein (beans and meat).  You add the tomatoes and peppers (Vitamin C) which helps with the iron...It's like a perfect food...Especially if you are on the road.  Just my thoughts...Brian

Valerie G.
on 2/21/17 12:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm on the salt bandwagon.  I was passing out from low BP until I started salting shamelessly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lipsticklady
on 2/21/17 5:15 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I am a martial arts instructor and we have 24/48 hour camps along with week long camps where we are practicing, sparring, running, etc.  for 10-15 hours a day.  We are only allowed to eat at designated times and I am physically unable to drink for an hour after eating without vomiting.  Dehydration is a real problem for me during these sessions because my ability to eat in quantity is so limited and we are so active...

I don't tolerate G2 well, but if you do, drink it.  I mix Gatorade and water 50/50 and chug it to the best of my ability.  My food intake is mostly protein bars, cheese and jerky during these MA marathons.

Gatorade is always the answer for me and that puts me firmly in the sodium camp with the above.  :)

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Most Active