Frustrated with dehydration

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 3:44 pm, edited 4/7/17 10:15 am

delete

Gwen M.
on 2/20/17 4:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Personally, I'd only get an IV for hydration if I was unable to hydrate on my own.  For me, that's only happened when I've been throwing up nonstop due to kidney stone pain.  

Are you unable to keep yourself hydrated?  Why?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 5:18 pm
Gwen M.
on 2/20/17 5:58 pm, edited 2/20/17 9:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hm.  Well this is clearly something you'll need to deal with long term, so maybe, on weekends, you should set an alarm for every 15 minutes when you are awake so you remember to drink as much as possible?  If you drink 2 ounces every 15 minutes for 8 hours, you'll be at 64 ounces.  

I would certainly recommend adding some sort of electrolyte replenishment drink, like gatorade (G2), to ensure that you're getting the sodium that you need.  That might help with the orthostatic hypertension too.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dagosson
on 2/20/17 4:32 pm

How many ounces/ml are you managing to consume in a day? The full amount recommended by your Dr? Are you thirsty during the day? Have you had any blood pressure changes (like too low when checked, or symptoms of orthostatic hypotension- dizzy if you stand too quickly)

Also, are you taking your vitamin supplements and/or any new medications?  Sometimes medications or new foods change the color of your urine without you being dehydrated (beets and carrots are known for this) My multivitamin makes my urine match your card at the dehydrated color, but I consume 2L of water/fluids daily- no way I'm dehydrated. (I know, tmi) 

Getting a one time bolus of IV fluids will help temporarily... like 24-48 hours. What you really need to do is talk to your Dr and figure out if you are dehydrated using more than just the color of your urine. You can start by adding up all the fluids that you consume in a day, and that means all fluids- anything wet, so protein shakes, milk, tea, coffee, soup or broth, jello, water etc, and see if it meets or exceeds what you have been told to get into your bod in a day. And yes, I realize that we are told not to 'count' some of those fluids, but they all have water in them and your kidneys don't know the difference between the fluid in your water bottle and the fluid in your milk.

Sodium plays a much bigger part of your overall health, and is one of the ions that is necessary for life- as in- it can cause problems if it's too high or too low. Again, there isn't a way for you to measure that unless you talk to your Dr. and get lab tests drawn.

So I guess the moral of my little story is don't count on an IV fixing things especially for mild dehydration, but absolutely track what your fluid intake is and call your Dr's office.

and just in case? Get up slowly from a sitting or lying position to avoid dizziness or falls :) can you tell I'm a nurse? Lol.

feel better!

RNY 9/28/16 at Highland Hospital with Dr O'Malley

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 5:27 pm
Grim_Traveller
on 2/20/17 6:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I had orthostatic hypotension a lot that first year, and the least amount of fluid I hot was 120 ounces a day. I usually am over 200 ounces.

More fluid will help with yhe orthostatic hypotension, but the other part of the equation is increasing electrolytes. I was told by my surgeon and PCP to use extra salt on things. If you are having these symptoms, don't be afraid of salt. And there are several new studies that show the connection between sodium intake and hypertension doesn't exist. There's an article here:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-t he-war-on-salt/

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dagosson
on 2/20/17 6:41 pm

You could try to increase fluids during the week (like add another 8 or so ounces a day) maybe it would give you enough to coast through the weekend. So instead of getting just enough Monday thru Friday and falling behind on Saturday and Sunday, you might end up even by the end of the weekend. Your body can 'stockpile' fluids for a very short while, but it will eventually flush the excess out. Which is why an IV would only fix things for a very short time. You would be right back where you started by the next weekend.

And you probably are not getting enough salt if you are having symptoms. I used to be a big time salt junkie, now if I eat lunchmeat for a meal it really affects me. My salt intake has gone from about 3000+ mg/day to 1000-1500 mg/day and my Dr said not to go any lower than that. I also have lymphedema in my legs which really messes with my fluid and salt levels so he has probably accounted for that when he told me to eat more salt. I laughed at him- since when do you get a Dr to tell you to eat more salt, lol. Some days that's really hard to maintain since I don't eat packaged foods anymore.

labs in 2 weeks are a good thing! And be careful :)

RNY 9/28/16 at Highland Hospital with Dr O'Malley

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/17 5:59 pm

IMO - your DH is right.Not getting enough sodium prevents you from keeping the water in...and to know you are thirsty. 

I use chicken stock, pickles, pickles juice - or simple salt pills.. (they sell those to athletes)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/17 6:02 pm

I could not edit so I am adding: I have adrenal issues so adding salt is a must for me.. 

I sometimes add a pinch of salt to my coffee, my desserts, etc...  when I forget - i get OH, dizzy.. etc...that is one sign I need more salt..- minerals.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active