Air fryer or NuWave

ladygodiva1228
on 2/20/17 10:26 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Looking to add another kitchen device to my collection of gadgets. 

So what do you have, and why do you like it?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Lipsticklady
on 2/20/17 10:37 am, edited 2/20/17 3:29 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I am dying to hear more about air fryers!!  And now I have to look into the NuWave thing...

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/17 10:57 am

I have the Nu-wave -like stuff. i used it 2 times. I really don't like it.  

I am thinking of getting air fryer... it is much more compact and i hope it would be easier to use and clean. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Deanna798
on 2/20/17 11:05 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I have an air fryer and I really like it.  It's basically a little convection oven, so if you have one of those already, it wouldn't be of use to you.  You can't "fry" wet battered things, like Drakes batter or anything. 

I've made mini crab rangoon using wonton wrappers, and I make chicken and fries in it for my kids and hubby.  It can roast veggies like nobodies business.  It's probably the one kitchen gadget that I use semi-regularly, second only to my crockpot which I think is a MUST for any busy family.

AS a matter of fact, I'm going to have a little get together at my house this Saturday and this post has just inspired me to make up some yummy, healthy appetizers.  Now I gotta figure out which ones I want to make.  Thanks!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

ladygodiva1228
on 2/20/17 11:18 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

And that is what I am looking for something that I don't have to use a wet batter with.  My husband likes sweet potatoe fries and the occasional fish filet like gorton's fish sticks type.  Sometimes I just hate heating up the oven for something small.

You have to make sure you post what healthy appetizers you make.   And those mini crab rangoons sound delicious.

Thanks Deanna.

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 11:41 am - CA

Air Fryer....hands down!   

You can bake, grill and roast in it and get the same effect you would get using the conventional method and in less time and less calories since you do not have to add breading to certain foods or oils to deep fry in.      

I do know a few people that have gotten knock off air fryers and not had the success I have had with mine.  I have a Phillips and can't complain one bit, while some of my friends complain that their food isn't as crispy or moist.  

ladygodiva1228
on 2/20/17 11:52 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Thanks for the info Nik.  What model Phillips do you have? 

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 12:00 pm - CA

Philips HD9220/26   I got it about two years ago, so the newer ones that have come out are digital now.   

Lipsticklady
on 2/20/17 12:11 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I have a toaster oven that is a convection oven and I love it.  It does not, however get my food crispy all the way around.  I have to turn things over and I am lazy.  It also doesn't give me the "burnt ends" affect that "frying" does.

Will an air fryer do that for me?

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 1:13 pm - CA

Absolutely!  You may need to adjust your cooking time to get that effect, but it should.  The air fryer is exactly what is says, but you don't have to use oil to fry the food n.  Which of course adds calories.    The best part of this gadget is that it keeps your food moist even though it is crispy.   Not many convection ovens do that.   I highly recommend the Phillips, but if you decide to go with another brand just read the reviews.   

Most Active