Scared about RNY surgery 5/5/17

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/17 6:21 am
VSG on 12/28/16

I was scared too. The more research I did, the less scared I got.  Read up as much as possible. Look at the blogs. Follow your team's pre and post instructions and you will do fine. I fortunately sailed through. The first month was hard. Now week 8 the habits are set and I feel like have adjusted to my new normal. Lots of good advice on this site so let us know how it's going. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/18/17 7:07 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Make sure that you have been honest with your surgeons about any medical trouble you are having.  I know someone who had heart problems, so they made sure to have a cardio surgeon on call in case needed.  Almost any risk can be addressed and minimized, if the surgeons know in advance.

Not because of the surgery, but just because anything could happen to you any given day - car accident, ect - make sure your will is up to date and that you have addressed who will care for your children.  Even if you were not having surgery, I would tell you to take care of this. 

Other than that, take this 11 week time to get as healthy as possible - the healthier you go into surgery, the faster your recovery will be.  Start a walking program, etc (although with 3 small children, even MO, you may be fitter than many of us).

We'll make room for you on the Loser's Bench.  Good luck on your journey.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/17 11:39 am
RNY on 05/05/07

Thanks for making room for me on the losers bench. That made me cry, I'm so excited to loose weight yet so scared at the same time. Idk I like the doctor he has great reviews. He just smiles too much, is that possible? I keep picturing him smiling at me and it scares me like he is hiding something behind that smile. 

seattledeb
on 2/18/17 2:21 pm

You don't have to date him. Surgeons spend their young adult years becoming doctors. Sometimes social skills just don't have time to develop.

I don't see my surgeon. I see the PA in his office. She is lovely and smart.

hollykim
on 2/18/17 11:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 18, 2017 at 1:14 AM Pacific Time, Frumpopolis wrote:

I'm a little scared about having my surgery in a few months 11 weeks exactly . I know I need it,  im 360 lbs the highest I've ever been in my life. I'm just afraid that something might happen to me. I have 3 small kids and worry about them.  Any tips to calm my nerves? 

ststistics tell us we are more likely to die driving our car down the street than we are having wls. 

Gonna stop driving your car?

seattledeb
on 2/18/17 2:22 pm

The other cars were out to get me yesterday. I also got to drive around a mudslide!

Djmohr
on 2/18/17 11:32 am
RNY on 09/29/14

It is normal to be scared before any major surgery. Keep in mind that RNY is actually safer than having your appendix out. Yes there can always be complications but you should not your fear keep you from what might save your life.

it is definately much safer than staying morbidly obese. Staying morbidly obese has proven to cause a much shorter life span.

I wish you the very best and hope you have a very safe surgery and speedy recovery!

MadisonRose
on 2/18/17 4:21 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Just wanted to send you some positive vibes.  Being scared is understandable.  I'm still trying to find a way to get weight loss surgery.  Sort out the details etc. since my insurance does not cover it.  If I had a date set for surgery I'd  imagine I'd be scared too.  I know I was scared the first time I had surgery a year ago to remove a very large cyst and ovary for fear it might rupture and the possibility of it being cancerous.  I was rushed in for emergency surgery so I really didn't have time to be scared.  Thank goodness for that because I know I'd have driven myself crazy with worry.  

Just think though...soon the surgery will be over and you will have a second chance at life.  Think of how much your quality of life will improve and how much longer you will be around for your kids.  I hope your worries fade and the surgery is a success for you! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/17 5:24 am, edited 2/18/17 9:25 pm
RNY on 05/05/07

Thank you, I hope a you find a way to have your surgery, I know the doctor I see does a payment plan if your insurance doesn't cover it. But I'm not sure how much it is. I know that in this economy things are tough for people the only reason I finally decided on having the surgery after years of thinking about it was I was laid off from my job of 9 years in November. My husbands insurance covers the cost. I feel like the weight is why I've been on so many job interviews and no one has hired me. thank you again for your encouragement and good luck to you as well. 

Mary Gee
on 2/20/17 3:24 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It's tough having your surgery date so far off.... gives you too much time to think.

Most people get nervous as their surgery date approaches.  Luckily, I had confidence in my surgeon.  And I was sick of being SMO...it made my life hell.  The surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself.  My boyfriend kept trying to talk me out it, but I was determined to go through with it.  Best thing I ever did!

As others said above, WLS is very safe; it's laparoscopic surgery.  The most dangerous thing you'll do on 5/5 is driving to the hospital!

Best of luck to you.  Keep reading and researching and posting.  Hopefully, as the date approaches you'll feel more excited than nervous. 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active