Losing too much weight

cindy5089
on 2/17/17 11:32 am - Cedar Park, TX

I had gastric bypass is 2010.  My post op weight was 218.  I am now at 105.  The weight continues to fall off.  I just recently bought my first size "0" ever.  Trust me, that is NOT a good feeling. I eat as much as I can. I take my vitamins.  Every time I see someone I haven't seen in a while, they tell me I am too skinny!  I know that already!!  I have 0% body fat.  0% muscle tissue.  I believe I am slowly dying.  I wish I had never had the surgery.  If I were to get sick, or God forbid get cancer which runs in my family, I have nothing to fight with.  Nothing!  Be careful of what you wish for!  I believe mine is going to be a death sentence.  I wish the best for all of you in where ever your journey takes you.  Please just be cautious!

Djmohr
on 2/17/17 11:56 am
RNY on 09/29/14

Have you been to a bariatrician? Do they know why this is happening to you?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/17/17 12:02 pm

You may need a good gastro to find out why are you losing weight. and or bariatric surgeon and have a revision to shorten the bypassed portion of the intestine. 

if nothing else- digestive enzymes and probiotics that can help you digest and absorb the calories you are eating.

maybe you don't eat enough or the right things? . are you tracking your food? what is your typical day of eating? 

I recently lost some weight and I have to work really hard to stop losing. But - some of the food that can me help gain weight - I either don't like, have allergy- sensitivity to,or simply get sick or in pain when I do try to eat. And I get tired of eating all the proteins and veggies... so some days I have to force myself to eat more of the foods that I can eat.   When I had the WLS I decided taht I will do anything and everything to be healthy.  That includes eating even when I am not hungry to make sure  I get enough nutrition in me.   

seeking docs what can help me..   Like my endo...and gastro (that I had to wait a long time to be seen by them). 

There are hormonal imbalances - like adrenal insufficiency, or hyperthyroid - that can causes "wasting". Great endo  can test you for all of that. Food intolerance- allergies - may prevent yo from absorbing foods.  I was diagnosed with dairy and soy allergies,  that meant that as long as my protein sources was mostly from that (yogurt, cheese, protein shakes, etc.) My body was notable to utilize them even when on the paper looked like gotover 120 gr of protein a day - my body simply rejected the whey, casein,and any other dairy proteins... not only that -as long as I was trying to eat that - my body was in a constant state of inflammation taht affected all other aspects of my life...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

peachpie
on 2/17/17 1:44 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

If you have 0% body fat, and 0% muscle- what are you made up of then?? I always worry about people who opt for RNY at (what I consider) a low starting weight.  Wishing you the best!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

catwoman7
on 2/18/17 5:32 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I was wondering the same thing.  Bones, on average, are only about 15% of your body weight.   So that's what?  15 or 20 lbs?

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

skinny_gigi
on 2/19/17 9:22 pm

I don't understand this statement.  What does the starting weight have to do with not being able to stop losing?  i just don't see the relation...it's not like if you get rny you lose weight forever...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

peachpie
on 2/19/17 9:48 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

With RNY you're generally guaranteed to lose 100#. I don't know the OP's height, but Assuming she's Average height (5'5" to me) it would automatically put her teetering in the low normal to underweight zone. Not something I'd personally be comfortable with. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

skinny_gigi
on 2/21/17 2:09 pm

Not sure if that "100lbs" is statistically true...in Canada where bariatric surgery is tracked and monitored for (5 years) all people who are eligible for province covered surgery (yes our health care covers it if your BMI is >40 OR

skinny_gigi
on 2/21/17 2:12 pm

Laura in Texas
on 2/17/17 4:17 pm

I see that you posted the same thing 5 years ago (and you were 8 pounds heavier then). In the past 5 years, what has your doctor said? Did you get a second opinion? Or a 3rd or 4th?? If not, you should do so. There has got to be someone out there who can help you. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active