How to feel satisfied...

Laura in Texas
on 2/19/17 7:32 am

The best part about all of this is that we get to choose our own goal weights!! I love the quote that says our goal weight should be something we can easily maintain (relatively speaking) while living the life we want to live.

A top limit of 160 sounds like a good goal for you. I do think we need to set goals or we get wishy-washy. A 5-10 pound cushion can easily turn into 50+ unwanted pounds if we are not careful. 

It took me about 3-4 years to fully embrace and be happy with myself as far as my weight goes. The mental part is the hardest.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/19/17 5:58 pm
If I had to do it over again, I'd have lost another 10 lbs. Most people rebound a bit, unless you watch EVERY bit of food that goes into your mouth.

You are going to have make peace with your body. It will never look perfect. This is something that everyone that has WLS has to come to terms with in their journey.

Scott
Deanna798
on 2/20/17 5:00 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Another thing that just struck me as I was reading responses (thanks for responding everyone, I appreciate you all)...

I think that sometimes I want to look like I did in my early 20's before I had kids and gained my weight.  At 20 and 21 I was about 140lbs and healthy.  I wasn't thin, but I had a nice figure and was pretty happy with the way that I looked.  Gaining 150lbs and having 2 kids, along with 25 years has changed my body and how it looks.  

I have to keep remembering, I'm almost 44 and not 20 anymore and I think I look pretty darn good, considering.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

TaffySaltwater
on 2/20/17 7:47 am
VSG on 03/11/16

As a woman who is looking at goal (170, with an option for an additional 10) in the not too distant future, I also wonder when does it become enough.  I've already lost close to 80% of my EW and decided to not go less than 90% because of the wibbly wobbly skin and the face starts to look haggard, especially if you're pear shaped and older, as I am.

All any of us can do is try to be kind to ourselves.  That can be difficult, after years or decades, of beating up on ourselves.  Remember the old words of Stuart Smalley, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me."

Most Active