Looking for ACA/Obamacare Stories

Gwen M.
on 2/15/17 4:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Quick note - I'll reply individually later this week (I have a big exam today, so that's taking all my time).  

Thank you all, so much, for your replies.  I appreciate you all for taking the time to share your stories with me!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mirandia
on 3/23/17 7:33 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I know this is probably coming to late ... but its an interesting story. A few years prior to the ACA I didn't have insurance for myself it simply cost too much. So if I was sick or hurt I had to really think about it if I needed care. So one day I was walking barefoot outside and I managed to get an inch and a half splinter in my foot ... broken off in a way that it could not be pulled out. I had maybe $50 total to my name So I decided I would take care of it myself. I took a shot of whiskey and operated on my own foot with an x-acto knife. I was able to get the entire splinter out after about an hour of stop and go cutting. I then did my best to clean everything and wrapped it tightly. Luck was on my side and I did not get an infection. I was also fortunate to have had a desk job at the time and only missed one day. My opinion is that this kind of thing should not have to happen in this country to people who have full time jobs. Not to me, not to anyone.

After the ACA I got insurance after more than a decade without it. The first year I used it to get a few check ups and was referred to a weight loss clinic. I learned that my insurance plan didn't cover WLS but was given a list of plans that WOULD cover it and how much I needed to save for out of pocket costs. For the next sign up period I switched to one of the better plans and started the 6 month process. It took me a few extra months to save up for my co-pays and such, but I did it. My surgery finally happened on 3-14-2017. I don't know what is going to happen in the next few years .... but I got my surgery already and they can't take that away.

Most Active