Any Successful long-term DS Vegans Vegeteraians or semi Vegetariams out there ?

VSGAnn2014
on 2/14/17 9:05 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Excellent points!  

And on that note, within the last month I used an online calculator to see what it would say about the number of calories that a woman my height (5'5"), weight (135  lbs.), age (71), and activity level (moderate - I exercise 5 times a week) should consume to maintain her weight.  

I was truly shocked!  The calculator's recommendation (1,750 calories) was only 25 calories more than the actual average daily calories I've consumed during the last year while maintaining my weight.  (I record my food / drink every day on My Fitness Pal.)  

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Insert Fitness
on 2/14/17 10:02 am

I did the same! Once I started paying closer attention to the habits of the healthy active people in my life, it was so clear to me. Sure, they eat out, and indulge, but not every day! And the meals that weren't special, were modest and healthy. I worked in the food industry so trying new or fancy places was par the course, they just did it mindfully, and smaller portions. 

And I realize now, our meals are very similar (granted mine are still smaller at 5 months out) once I hit maintenance I plan to be in the same boat. Healthy, but no feeling of deprivation.

Something I absolutely could not envision preop, or without changing my lifestyle.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 5:38 am, edited 2/14/17 9:38 pm

I Agree with you!!!!! a lot of actresses don't Ever eat ... just drink !!! Seriously. And if they do -- it's a tiny salad three shrimp and dressing on the side. 

I am not capable of eating these tiny meals . I hate feeling hunger - it makes me feel very out of control. also grouchy and incapable of thinking and really working ( can't use my brain when dieting) 

but I do eat largely in the morning and noon, mostly good stuff , take lots of vitamins. 

pammieanne
on 2/15/17 9:03 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

From what I've read, I'm thinking you need a new career... you said it yourself right here... to be successful in the modeling arena (Not acting), you MUST eat very little and be VERY mindful!

Those women don't let themselves gain 20-25 pounds... they may indulge somewhere, but their minds are on the prize... they NEED to be skinny, and understand the consequences if they overindulge... Perhaps rethinking your career is a better move for you if you're not willing to play by the rules...

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/17 9:02 am - CA

No reputable surgeon will revise your surgery for the reasons you outline above, nor would your insurance pay for it.  

You will have to continue to work your tool, to maintain or lose what you do gain.  

Nik

Lipsticklady
on 2/14/17 10:21 am, edited 2/14/17 2:21 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I am curious what you consume on a daily basis regarding calories/fat/carbs.

As for good advice on a vegetarian diet?  I am positive it's possible to lose/maintain/stay healthy and "tiny" when when one complies to his/her diet plan.  It seems to me, however that you are not willing to exercise to balance your "emotional/physical NEED" to drink alcohol, eat fatty foods and things that are high in carbs.  

Unfortunately, you can't have your cake, eat it too AND stay in your size 00s if you aren't willing to put in some sweat equity.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/14/17 2:52 pm
I love my DS. HOWEVER- revision's should only be done in a medical emergency OR if you have had a significant regain and cannot lose the weight by returning to your surgeries basics.

The revision process is MUCH MUCH more difficult than a "virgin" surgery and I do not think any ethical surgeon would revise you for less than a 100 lbs regain (yes you'd have to be MO or SMO again).

To answer part two (but this does not apply to you) you can be a successful DSer if you are willing to eat milk products, drink whey protein drinks, etc. Vegetable protein is not as good as animal protein when it comes to bio availability.

Scott
Donna L.
on 2/14/17 7:01 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you get a DS you will have to eat a high fat and high protein diet for life.  You are basically committing to becoming an obligate carnivore, or at least a dedicated protein consuming machine.

Could you do that as a vegetarian?  Probably, very carefully. However, the surgery in and of itself really needs the extra protein and fat so you can survive.  You will need to prioritize eggs, high protein and high fat dairy products, and tofu/other protein substitutes by adding lots of fat.  You should aim for... what?  140g of protein at least a day?  You will not absorb a significant portion of it, thus the reason for the amount.

If you are unwilling to eat high fat or high protein you will be unable to sustain a high quality of life with a DS.

I would absolutely say that a DS and a vegan diet are counterindicated to varying degrees.  It's difficult to stay low carb enough for weight loss and get enough protein and fat.

Eventually I may revise to a DS, and at that point I would still remain a carnivore.  I was a vegetarian for many years (I am a Buddhist) and unfortunately it would be difficult to maintain the way of eating with being vegetarian.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 5:41 am

thank you Donna! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 5:02 am

Ava it's a shame you refuse to listen to the advice and suggestions that have been given to you over the years.  You refuse to give up alcohol, you live in abusive and toxic relationships, yet you come here looking for pity and sympathy. 

It doesn't matter how many different user names you have or if you block out your face in your pictures those of us who have been around here for years know it is you. 

I really wish you would get the help you need, but alas we know you won't. 

Most Active