Any Successful long-term DS Vegans Vegeteraians or semi Vegetariams out there ?

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 9:33 am

Lol!! Everyone lies to the doctor I suspect they know this. I try not to lie to myself or to You, my friends here. Why waste everyone's time? 

AggieMae
on 2/18/17 7:05 am
VSG on 10/25/16

Um... I don't lie to my doctor, so "EVERYONE" doesn't. After reading your posts on this thread all I can suggest is that you get professional help with your poly substance abuse issues immediately.

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 10:10 am
(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 9:28 am

I'm counting half a Large water glass ( I make a wine spritzer ****tail with diet soda  and either orange or lemon juice otherwise it hits me too fast) as 2 glasses of wine . 

• I usually sip on one of these a while but put down too many I suspect in 24 hours 
  • Probably a Lot of calories and carbs you're right!
pammieanne
on 2/15/17 9:17 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Prior to surgery, I bought wine by the box, and vodka with the handle (the big one!)... I had several drinks every night as part of my dinner cooking - appetizer (not to mention chips, crackers, whatever was out to graze on while I cooked)... weekends always included at least a couple of drinks... and I liked to occasionally get drunk (full disclosure here)... 

Fast forward to months before my surgery... I had to really have a 'coming to Jesus' talk with myself... after being on this board, and several others, and reading, learning, and absorbing... I knew I had to give that up if I was going to be successful and live a healthier life (in much smaller clothes!). 

I am not the perfect WLS patient.... I like drinking too (being older, I've drank for many more years than you, I really LIKE it!)... I finished off everything in the house prior to surgery... I wasn't going to waste any! LOL

But, after... I bought nothing that appealed to me for a loooong time. I will never make cooking dinner my chance to 'relax' with a few drinks... not because I'm an alcoholic who can't... not because I'm afraid of transfer addiction either... but because I KNOW I CAN'T AND BE SUCCESSFUL AT WEARING THESE CUTE CLOTHES! Never mind the health aspects, because, frankly if I could stay thin(ner) and drink every night, it would be ON!

Now... I had a few drinks 3 months out when we went to Key West (first time)... then a few drinks at some other outing we had... and now, I will drink a glass or two of dry red wines/ irish coffees/ or some other lower sugar drink ON OCCASION... WHY? Because that's the only way I can continue to lose my weight, and once I've lost all the weight, it'll be the only way I will be able to continue.

I'm one that hasn't given up alcohol 100%... I won't... unless I see that I can't lose more/ keep the weight off... but if I can fit it into the macros to do it, I do.

You can't have it all... if that were even a remote possibility, I'd so be there with ya. 

There's no miracle surgery, there's no miracle pill, and there's no miracle way to have what you are asking for without doing it yourself.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

theAntiChick
on 2/15/17 9:37 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Not getting on your case, you're an adult and you make your own choices and you suffer the consequences...

But you do realize if you eat similarly after noon as you did before noon, you're taking in roughly 3,800 kcal today?  There's not a surgery or pill or treatment on this planet that will let you take in that much every day and stay in a size 1.  There's no way on earth to exercise that much extra off.  "Normal" women take in 1,600-2,000 kcal a day, depending on height/weight, activity level, etc.

If this is a typical day for you, I'm frankly amazed that 20# is all you've gained.

It would be fantastic if there was a way we could eat everything we wanted, in any quantity we wanted, and not gain weight.  It's not fair that as previously MO/SMO people we have to fight harder to lose and keep weight off.  It's not fair that we have to have surgical intervention to have a decent shot at staying thin(ner).  But life ain't fair, and most of us aren't going to win the lottery.

You have a simple choice to make... cut back the overall calories one way or another, or find a way to live with some extra weight.  It's not even a carb/protein question at this point, you're flat out eating more calories than you can burn off, and malabsorption can only get you so far.

You're not looking at having to eat and exercise like an anorexic person to have to stay thin, you're looking at having to eat and exercise like a NORMAL person to have to stay thin.  It just seems abnormal because you're so used to taking in the amounts you have been.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 9:58 am

I get this . I am very lucky to have been able to work EXTREMELY hard as a youngster to slowly grow the calorie burning muscle necessary ( I put in 4 hours a day in two a day workouts as long as I can remember! ) to maintain eating this many calories. 

But ... here's the rub ... I Starve if I don't get enough food. I still have Horrible memories of suffering trying to follow food plans that work long term for other women  like H.O.W. from overeaters anonymous or God Forbid The Atkins or Pritikin diet . 

The only food plan that ever worked for me to Maintain not gain visiting relatives in food- centered Europe was Suzanne Somers' original plan which basically puts 2 hours rest between eating fat free carbs and dairy and eating fat and meat . ( veggies and salads can be eaten whenever with meals and snacks) . I was amazed that I didn't gain anything  on a six week visit this way with great food constantly offered. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 1:11 pm, edited 2/15/17 5:18 am

Around 2 pm normally I'll eat a salad with fat free dressing. The other day it was coleslaw ... yesterday I had a big bowl of mesclun and baby spinach with a cup of quinoa shredded carrots half and half an avocado . Sometimes I'll have it with fat free feta Fat free blue cheese dressing pickles olives and stuffed grape leaves. Sometimes I make Tabouleh with cracked wheat and pArsley orange juice orange and tomato pieces. 

This is usually under 400 calories including dressing but bulky.  Carbs ? 30 grams or so for the grains and dressing. 

Today I made a pot of fat free commercial julienne  potatoes with 2 cups of baby carrots added and one cup fat free milk. So far I've eaten two servings ( 230 calories each ) and half a chicken kebab. The entire carb load for the potatoes is 130 . No more wine or lattes so far. 

I can see why you say my carb count may be the problem especially if I drink more ... hmmm . 

Valerie G.
on 2/15/17 9:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Therein lies your problem.  You surpassed your carb limit at breakfast!  Chai latte's are full of sugar, too.  A good friend of mine gained 85 lbs after becoming a vegetarian because she became a carb addict.  It looks like you're there, too, and it doesn't get better without you fixing it yourself.

The problem isn't your surgery type, it's your food choices.  Exercise is great at helping maintain, but it alone won't compensate for eating crappy (and yes, even vegetarians can eat crappy).   If you really want to lose that weight back again, you're going to have to work this time and operate some constraint.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 10:02 am, edited 2/15/17 2:03 am

I don't indulge in sugar only stevia. But I suspect Alcohol does get metabolized as a sugar as does even " half/caf " trop 50 half calorie orange juice. 

How many carbs do you limit yourself to Val? Do you actually count them every day and stop eating when you reach your limit? 

Most Active