Still eating too fast

Cathy H.
on 2/13/17 5:33 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Image result for you're a rebel

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

theAntiChick
on 2/14/17 7:45 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Don't get me started on nutritionists.  Some are very helpful and have good information, I'm quite sure.  I haven't met one yet.  The problem is that in most places in the U.S., there's no standard for who can call themselves a nutritionist.  There's no test, no certification, no degree needed.  If it weren't in violation of my nursing ethics requirements, I could hang a shingle based on the one nutrition class I took in nursing school and my vast amount of research.  

Once you get past the basics of what are calories, what is a carb, what is protein, what is fat, what are vitamins, what are minerals (that kind of information everyone needs and unfortunately doesn't get), it's a free-for-all in the nutritionist arena, even in bariatric circles.  Some are dead set on ketogenic diets.  Some get on a bent about supplements or whatnot.  Some I've read are giving the most ghastly advice about post-op eating.  

They also tend to give advice they've gleaned from the psychology arena, which is where the "mindful eating" is coming from.  Incidentally, I'm in therapy for my food issues.  I recognize the value in mindful eating.  It's part of intuitive eating which is something many of us with food issues and obesity need a lot of work in.  However, I will say that for me, during the healing and re-training phases, getting the right kinds of food down comfortably is a little higher on the priority list than mindful eating.  So if it helps to watch TV or read while eating, I'll do it.

Now, I am not saying any of this about registered dieticians.  They have degrees in nutrition and there is regulation/licensure which means ethics boards.  Which means they tend to stay in their lane and not give advice they're not qualified for.  But I don't have access to one of them with my program, so my experience has all been with NUTs.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/17 5:57 pm
theAntiChick
on 2/14/17 6:03 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Well, individual people can be good at their jobs and helpful or not.  As a group, I find RDs to be better informed and more useful than NUTs, for the reasons I've stated.  The NUT I was referred to was a waste of time and money.  I won't say she was a waste of air, because she wasn't advocating anything detrimental, but she certainly wasn't of any use to me, and didn't have anything new to offer me that I didn't get in 6th grade science class or in the Weigh****chers materials from the 80s.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Fredbear
on 2/14/17 7:57 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Nutritionists are to Registered Dieticians as Toothiologists are to dentists.

Any idiot can call themselves a "nutritionist."

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/17 12:40 am

It's good to taste touch look at the delicious food you've prepared for yourself . Eating in front of the tv or even while reading can feel like not eating at all and cause ( me at least ) to eat more . 

Erin T.
on 2/13/17 7:17 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I'm with you. I have to do something while I eat (except those nights I actually am eating the same things as my family just yet). I know about mindful eating but the only way I could actually intake a full meal is to occupy my mind elsewhere. Otherwise I get so freaking bored I just give up and don't eat it. 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/17 3:48 am
VSG on 10/11/16

Here's the thing as I see it. People are different in many ways. The same response does not fit every single person in every single situation. Some do, but not all. Eat less - lose weight. That is universal. "Mindful eating?"  What is that, exactly?  It sounds like something someone cooked up that is the new "term du jour" for nutritionists. But it makes it easier for them to have the appearance of doing their jobs. 

I teach woodworking skills to a wide range of people. Aside from the age difference - I have taught many children 10 years old and even younger, to people in their 80s - there is physical size, dexterity (which can be affected by various disabilities) etc. Each person is different. I often tailor the techniques I teach them to fit their particular needs.

That is a lot of work. Most people are not interested in putting in that kind of work. Teaching (which is what our nutritionists do) becomes merely a recitation of facts or truisms that are mostly accurate, but not always appropriate, or actually true. Mindful eating is one of them. Are we supposed to concentrate on what we are doing?  Sure. Are we to be "mindful" of what and how we eat?  Of course. All that is true, but the way it works out can be vastly different from person to person. 

It takes discussion and flexibility on the part of the teacher as well as the student. If a person sits at their appointment with their nutritionist, and their biggest contribution to the conversation is "uh-huh", they are not going to get the full value of their time there. If the nutritionist is not willing to listen, or dig for more information on that individual, then they really aren't providing the service they are capable (or should be capable) of providing. Of course, a lot of people in positions like this view me as a pain because I ask a lot of questions that often start out with why or how. 

Erin T.
on 2/14/17 5:20 am
VSG on 01/17/17

This goes back to the conversation I had with my nutritional about "fat-free". She was going on about adding low & fat free cheeses, fat free cottage cheese, light mayo to things. I asked her why, if I'm eating such a small amount, the fat-free items are so important? I mean, wouldn't you want things to taste good at least?! 

She kind of stuttered and then admitted that their new "updated" research shows that full fat dairy (especially) should be encouraged in appropriate portions. But, then she went on to say they had not yet updated the literature for the Bari center yet so she was not allowed to officially give that advice. 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

TXJess
on 2/14/17 6:37 am
RNY on 12/27/16

I hate the term "mindful eating".  I mean, sure - be aware of what you are eating.  Don't just shovel in junk.  Make good food choices.  Got it.  But to sit there for 20 minutes and "relish" every single bite just seems like it's obsessive.  I'm really trying to get to the point where food is fuel.  Do I sit there and watch the gas gauge like a hawk when filling up my car?  No, I check messages and respond to texts.  I multi-task because it's just another errand.  

Most Active