Pain?

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/12/17 1:42 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I was on pain meds for the first 4-6 hours. After that I was golden. I was easily back at work on day 8.

karenp8
on 2/12/17 2:29 pm - Brighton, IL

Very little pain at all. I took nothing stronger than regularge tylenol and was only in the hospital one night. No problems whatsoever.

Renee C.
on 2/12/17 2:41 pm, edited 2/12/17 6:43 am - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

It varies from person to person.  I read replies like these before my surgery and was all prepared to bounce right back and be feeling good a few days after surgery. 

In the hospital, they'd always ask my pain level on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt).  I was pretty consistently at a 3 or 4 and feeling OK at home too.  Until a week after surgery and now the past few days I'm in a quite a bit more pain than that. I cope by resting a lot in whatever position I can manage.  It's not fun but it's not the end of the world.  I am sure I'll heal up eventually.   I got super nauseated last night and I'd rather the the pain than the nausea!

Don't be afraid though -- in the hospital they'll probably give you Dilaudid on a self-serve button (hydromorphine) and you'll be fine.  They'll likely send you home with a small amount of oxycontin or some other narcotic to take as needed if you are still hurting.  Unless you have complications, your pain will be manageable.

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

catwoman7
on 2/12/17 2:42 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

people are all across the board on this, but I think I can fairly say that the majority of us experienced little to no pain. The only pain I felt was sore abs, which felt like I'd done 500 crunches.  It only bothered me when I was transitioning in and out of bed.  Otherwise, if I was just lying there, I didn't feel any pain.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

tvlbunny
on 2/12/17 2:45 pm
RNY on 12/07/16

I thought the pain was horrible!  When I was in recovery they couldn't get my pain under control, I was a 7 out of 10.  I am not a weenie when it comes to pain either.  I had a c-section about 2 years earlier and that was easy as could be, I stopped pain meds after 12 hours.  RNY was my 3rd abdominal surgery so that likely contributed to the pain from the scar tissue from previous surgeries. I also had my lap band removed and they said that they couldn't get the port out so they had to cut muscle out.  I'm 9 weeks out and that area is still tender.  I took my pain mess for 4 days after RNY and I could have benefited from a few more days.  

Lyds85
on 2/12/17 5:04 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

oh my goodness you poor thing! Hope you get to feeling better soon. ?

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/17 8:00 am
Valerie G.
on 2/13/17 8:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Easy...there's drugs for that

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Hiraeth
on 2/13/17 11:18 am
VSG on 08/04/16

The worst pain for me was the gas pain I felt in my shoulder. It felt as if someone hit me as hard as they could with a hammer. Dilaudid definitely helped take the edge off while I was in the hospital. That pain lasted for about 2 days. Once I went home, the gas pain was gone. When I got home, I laid down and took a 6 hour nap. When I woke up, I felt as if I had the flu; body aches, extreme fatigue, tender skin. But I knew that was normal because my body was responding to the surgery. I got up after my nap, drank some fluids, and took a B12 vitamin; then I went back to bed. When I woke up the next day, I felt absolutely no pain. The pain just disappeared completely. I couldn't believe that I went from feeling like I had been beaten up in an alley, to feeling no pain at all. 

I was not afraid before the surgery. But that is normal for me. I'm not afraid of much. Some people tell me that's not a good thing, haha. 

This surgery was so much easier than I expected.

Most Active