Urinary Incontinence

Lisa F.
on 2/11/17 7:39 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Since surgery I have had bouts of urinary incontinence since having surgery. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? I did a search and haven't seen any mention (other than those who had it before surgery).

I'm doing my kegels but haven't seen any improvement.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Donna L.
on 2/11/17 7:57 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Many things can cause this, especially for women. The opposite more often occurs: urinary incontinence improves with weight loss, so I'd consider calling your doctor.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ddkVSG
on 2/11/17 9:14 am, edited 2/11/17 1:14 am
VSG on 12/27/16

Mine has improved since surgery. However,  as a bariatric patient you are likely eating a high protein diet. My understanding is this can lead to kidney stones. A few years ago, well before surgery, I was experiencing sudden urinery incontinence.  Turns out I had three kidney stones. I otherwise had no symptoms of stones and had zero pain. Got the stones blasted and things improved drastically.  Maybe see your PCP.

HW 374 SW 339 CW 309GW 195 Surgery 12/27/16

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/17 11:00 am

I do have cure that works for it- a  young perpetually horny sexy boyfriend.  The kegel " exercises " you do with a new relationship's hot and never ending sex solved this issue for me.  I did pee when i LAUGHED post op  .. it was EMBARRASSING. ( never had any problem before I lost the weight- then again I never let anyone near me  1000 lbs overweight so did I really KNOW ? 

Said boyfriend said ( P ) smelled like pee first time he went down on it... not ever now .  JES Saying there's a lot BAD in these relationships but the sex and FEELING sexy is very healthy . (((())) hugs 

patchoulli
on 2/11/17 4:37 pm - port charlotte, FL

You may have a UTI.  Call your doc, ask him to order a urinalysis, hope things turn around.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/11/17 7:48 pm

Artificial sweeteners irritates my bladder and muscles down there.  It takes a week for the effect to completely wear off when I stop that. That and artificial flavors or colors. 

I found that the hard way. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AggieMae
on 2/12/17 5:49 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

The urinary catheter used during surgery can cause incontinence, do eagles diligently for a few weeks.

Lisa F.
on 2/18/17 5:00 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Hi everyone -

Thanks so much for the suggestions here. Thought I'd give an update to help anyone else that runs across this thread.

I went to the gyno the other day and she did an urinalysis and determined it isn't a UTI. I had all these symptoms since surgery from brain fog, problems sleeping and the incontinence. I was convinced it was all due to the surgery. I'm 52 (almost 53...yikes!) and she said it was the start of menopause. (I had a hysterectomy a few years back so I don't know for sure). She said the hormonal changes from surgery could have accelerated the symptoms.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Laura in Texas
on 2/18/17 5:37 am

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have a weak bladder that I am sure is due to years of being morbidly obese.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active