Unintended Consequences

The Salty Hag
on 2/9/17 11:58 am
RNY on 05/20/13

It's weird, right? 

My 75 lb dog ran into me and sent me flying. I mean like in the air and everything. I landed hard on my hip. Ouch. Before surgery I'd have been able to take the hit with just an "Oof" escaping my lips. 

Another WTF thing is the automatic doors like in grocery stores. Before, those damn thing would sense me even if I was pretty far back. Now I have to get riiiight under the sensor and sometimes that doesn't even work, so I have to wave my hand. From one extreme to the other. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 1:44 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On February 9, 2017 at 7:58 PM Pacific Time, Audrey-The Endearingly Dorky Hag wrote:

It's weird, right? 

My 75 lb dog ran into me and sent me flying. I mean like in the air and everything. I landed hard on my hip. Ouch. Before surgery I'd have been able to take the hit with just an "Oof" escaping my lips. 

Another WTF thing is the automatic doors like in grocery stores. Before, those damn thing would sense me even if I was pretty far back. Now I have to get riiiight under the sensor and sometimes that doesn't even work, so I have to wave my hand. From one extreme to the other. 

I know!  A gust of wind sent me stumbling down the hill on the way in from the barn!  I thought I was going to spread my wings and fly!  Well, maybe not.  

Now I'm worried about those doors.  I am used to walking in like I own the place.  It won't look good if I smack my face into the glass because the door didn't "see" me.  

heidikat72
on 2/9/17 12:15 pm - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

Interesting. I had a different reaction today. Only about 3 inches here just a little south of you. But I was able to shovel my whole driveway in one go! No problems! No pain! No having to stop every 5 minutes because I couldn't breathe/heart racing!

But yeah, I did feel like popsicle when I was done. Took a while and a lot of hot coffee to warm back up.

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 1:46 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On February 9, 2017 at 8:15 PM Pacific Time, heidikat72 wrote:

Interesting. I had a different reaction today. Only about 3 inches here just a little south of you. But I was able to shovel my whole driveway in one go! No problems! No pain! No having to stop every 5 minutes because I couldn't breathe/heart racing!

But yeah, I did feel like popsicle when I was done. Took a while and a lot of hot coffee to warm back up.

If I had been working, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.  I might have even broken a sweat.  But once I am on that tractor, all I have to do is steer and move my right foot back and forth.  I might have to shift the chute every now and then, but that is just a crank operated from the seat.  It really is luxurious.  I wonder if I could talk Mrs. LittleBillJr into one of those cabs they make for these things?  She'd probably laugh.  She is good at that.  

Kathy S.
on 2/9/17 12:24 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This has to be one of the most interesting NSV's I have ever read.  Sounds like you almost blew away!  I grew up in MI and lived most of my life outside of Chicago so I can relate and don't miss it!!! Time to invest in thermal undies and battery powered socks  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On February 9, 2017 at 8:24 PM Pacific Time, Kathy S. wrote:

This has to be one of the most interesting NSV's I have ever read.  Sounds like you almost blew away!  I grew up in MI and lived most of my life outside of Chicago so I can relate and don't miss it!!! Time to invest in thermal undies and battery powered socks  

The wind did catch me good once, and send me along my way faster than I intended.  I remember my grandfather telling me about living in Chicago in the 1930s.  He said they had ropes strung along the sidewalks to give people a handhold so they wouldn't be blown into the street.  

I guess it is an NSV of sorts.  I didn't look at it like that while I was out there, that's for sure.  

Kathy S.
on 2/9/17 2:26 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

They call it the Windy City because of the way the buildings were constructed (not intentional) the winds off Lake Michigan create wind tunnels. I kid you not

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

reree6898
on 2/9/17 2:24 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I grew up in south eastern Michigan and have thought many times how glad I am to be in the south because I would have froze to death by now up there! Lol

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/9/17 12:53 pm

Next time they run your blood work - ask to test a complete panel for Thyroid.  often Free T3 is low , really low  as we are losing weight and do it really low carbs....Often they only test TSH and T4... taht those can be "normal' with low T3.  

The T3 is the active thyroid hormone.  if T3 is low - we may get really col and our metabolism slows down. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 1:49 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On February 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

Next time they run your blood work - ask to test a complete panel for Thyroid.  often Free T3 is low , really low  as we are losing weight and do it really low carbs....Often they only test TSH and T4... taht those can be "normal' with low T3.  

The T3 is the active thyroid hormone.  if T3 is low - we may get really col and our metabolism slows down. 

I will have to go back and see if they tested for that.  They tested me for just about everything else, but who knows what they might have missed. Thanks.

Most Active