Carb Crashing

ddkVSG
on 2/9/17 8:23 pm
VSG on 12/27/16

Carb withdrawal, or keto flu is real.  And awful. And it will pass.  Salt helps, like in the form of pickles. And drink lots of water.

HW 374 SW 339 CW 309GW 195 Surgery 12/27/16

DubfromBP
on 2/10/17 1:34 am
VSG on 10/13/15

It gets better.

It is truly a case of maintaining the discipline every day that leads to it being easier the next day......I promise you this.

As your body grows accustomed to low carb intake it makes the desire of sugary junk a thing of the past.  You simply don't care for the stuff anymore and will go on to have cravings for succulent meats and other good fuels.  

I found that in the early days I could enjoy a pickle....and found when I shopped at the store that there were dozens of great flavored pickles that had zero carbs and even zero calories.  It was a sort of wizardry that offered me a tasty treat for when I was wanting one. Sure helped get me through times when I was jonesing for a snack.   These times pass swiftly, though.

Now.....a normal day is set up with a low amount of carb intake.  I never have a desire for the junk....unless I eat the junk....then it seems to set up a "repeater craving" that will kick in an hour later.  So long as I stay away from candy and such.....I have zero desire for it and go weeks without every thinking about it even though my family has sweets all over the pantry and fridge.  That's "their stuff".    Doesn't have to be mine.

My regular eating now does include carbs.....lots of tasty greens and other vegetables....many offerings from salad bars that supplement my meats and some cheeses and nuts.....but almost never anything that's high in sugar.  A couple times a week I'll have a honeycrisp apple or some blueberries but those are the sweetest things I'll entertain and they taste better now to me than a huge chunk of chocolate cake used to back in my old way of living.

You've got this.

You'll kick ass and feel better.

It's truly a case of staying disciplined for a few days leading to an ease of remaining discipline.  

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

Donna L.
on 2/10/17 3:25 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Electrolytes help off-set the keto flu (potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium).  All of those will help tremendously.  Make sure to stay very hydrated, too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 2/11/17 5:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Load up on protein as much as you can.  I wouldn't even count the calories if it's all protein.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active