2 months post op, questions.

courtneyjeaanxo
on 2/8/17 9:56 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

Hello,

I am a new member. Looking for people to learn from and talk with. I am 21, I had a VSG in November 28  2016. A little bit over 2 months post op, and down 50lbs. I stress that I am not losing enough. I also stress out everytime I eat food. I know when to stop eating but still believe that I am eating much. I work overnights, 3, 13 hours shift and than im usually awake opposite schedule the rest of the week. I believe this puts a toll on me, and it becomes very had to stick to a normal schedule to eat and such. I have began to drink alcohol also, on an occasion, new years, best friends wedding, friends moving away party. I spoke with my doctor before, but also wondering everyone else's thoughts and when you began and what you drank. Being so young, I used to go out every weekend with my friends to the bar and drink sugary drinks or beer. None of that anymore, sometimes wine or Malibu bay breeze is what I will pick if im out.

Tonight, I ate about 3/4 maybe a little less a turkey burger with shred lettuce on it, no bread and a pickle. While I was eating this I was thinking about if I'm eating to much.

I also snacked on a Trios pack, new by Kraft. It does have a few chunks of dark chocolate in but is protein with the cheese and banana. I ate almost all of this except for the chocolate. The package says it's about 1.5 oz.

I guess my question is about how many ounces is normal for about 2 months post op?

DinaHaines
on 2/9/17 1:40 am, edited 2/9/17 1:17 pm

I didn't get your question properly.

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 4:44 am
VSG on 10/11/16

There are several things you can to to help with the mind games, as well as reassure yourself you are continuing on the right path. First, get a calorie counter and start logging what you eat.  My Fitness Pal is a big favorite.  I use it.  This helps you see how much you are eating and of what kinds of things.  

Second, everyone's stomach is different.  The following is what works for me.  Other people will have other ideas.By the time I was two months out, I could eat almost 6 ounces of food by volume.  Other people are still struggling to get 2 ounces down.  There is a little trial and error involved, but measure out your food, and eat it slowly.  The slow part is real important, because there is a time lag from when your stomach senses that it is full, and the signal gets to your brain.

So measure out a quantity you think you should be eating, and then slowly eat all of it, or as much as it takes to make you feel satisfied - not stuffed.  Measure what is left.  That will give you a benchmark for the near future for a number of different foods.  For some reason I do not know, some will make you feel fuller than others with less volume.  Don't force it.  Go with it, and eat less.

Be aware that things can change in either direction.  For example, I had been eating 3 1/2 ounces of nuts for a meal.  For some reason now, 3 ounces makes me just as full for just as long.  So it is a bad idea to try and cram that last 1/2 ounce in.  I don't need to, so I don't want to.  

i have a weird schedule too, although it doesn't sound as difficult as yours.  I often find myself in my truck in various places away from home (where I work) at meal times.  I prepackage food that has been either weighed or measured by volume.  Those ziplock baggies in the snack size are great for this.  I was out for most of the day yesterday after breakfast.  I had a baggie with nuts, one with beef jerky, and a protein bar.  That was a whole day's food until dinner if I needed it.  

By thinking ahead and planning out your meals this way, you will avoid the stress of trying to find something suitable on the fly, as well was the stress of wondering if you are eating the correct amount.  As time goes by, you will be more experienced and more comfortable with planning and choosing, and deciding how much and of what to eat.  Good luck with it!

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 4:52 am
VSG on 10/11/16

Oh yeah.  Cut out the booze until you get your system straightened out.  It will not be anything but a hinderance to you, especially in the beginning.  No one needs booze to live.  I write that as someone who enjoys a snort of bourbon or a glass of wine once in a while.  Get everything else figured out and lose some weight.  Booze is nothing but empty calories, and if you drink it to excess, empty promises.  Don't go down that road.  

Gwen M.
on 2/9/17 5:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Please find yourself a therapist.  Your behavior is full of red flags and should be addressed sooner rather than later.  

When I was two months out I was eating 3 meals a day.   One of those meals was a protein shake (8oz) and the other two were solid food 3-4 ounces.  No alcohol, no snacks.  

It's best to weigh/measure and log what you're eating. That way you don't need to worry "what if?"

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/9/17 6:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Stay away from the alcohol, PERIOD, while losing weight. It's empty calories, and WLS reduces our tolerance for alcohol. "Transfer addiction" is a very real possibility.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Renee C.
on 2/9/17 7:06 am - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Congrats on 50 lbs down in 2 months!!

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

suzzzzz
on 2/9/17 7:48 am
VSG on 06/23/16

Yes, you are losing enough. Let go of your expectations and allow this new process to work over time. This is when we have a chance to learn new ways of thinking and eating. The mental part is just as important as the physical. Like others have said, track your food, find a therapist, and let the alcohol go for now. I love to drink wine and do on occasion, but it impacts my weightloss and delays that next drop on the scale. Life is all about choices.  Focus on your long term goals and use them as motivation to reach them. Don't sweat and worry everyday, as that just leads to more worry.

catwoman7
on 2/9/17 10:35 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with what all the others said.  In addition, 50 lbs in two months is a phenomenal loss - you're well above average.   I lost 27 lbs the first two months.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active