I have a question that I really need your thoughts on.

Kathy S.
on 2/9/17 7:39 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Contact me anytime!!!  YOU GOT THIS!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

DubfromBP
on 2/9/17 12:42 am, edited 2/8/17 4:50 pm
VSG on 10/13/15

This is a very timely question and the replies are of huge value to me.

The voice of the veterans here fills me with confidence.

I had vsg in October 2015.  The first 8 months were magic.  Sometimes I look back and think that it was a voodoo type of magic, too, lol.

It fell off like crazy and that very sentiment, CRAZY, was a feel that took over.  I was crazy enthused.  Everything was crazy fun.  I went crazy on closet clean out and clothes shopping for new stuff.......and I've never, ever been a someone who cared a bit for clothes shopping.

Anyway, point being.....I was blown away by the benefits.  The one year bloodwork results were amazing. Everything was looking up.

Then, later on this past Fall I've run into some physical setbacks with knees, shoulder and other aggravation that kept me from gym....and rallying my physical resources simply for my job.  My gym time and outdoor hobbies ground to a halt.

Add in holiday stuff from Thanksgiving through New Years and then several weeks of vacation and football watching on top of this.....sedentary time to heal and chill.........

The magic stopped.   Some regain occurred.

Frustration is the feel that comes to the surface.

It's a different type of frustration, though.....a Good type.   It's the type that stems from the knowledge that I fully understand the factors that let to my stall and slight regain.  It's the frustration that comes from knowing that 3 week battery of steroids is gonna lead to more regain if I chose to let it.

This thread helps me anchor down a new feel, though.   That feel is Confidence.  I understand the factors, I have the physical tools to address the regain and reverse it and get back on the Loser Train and reach my initial post op weight goal....it was a damn aggressive one, too.....and it's fully attainable.  

Yes.  I have the physical tools to do this.  Even in spite of a weakened ability to be aggressive in the gym....I can still walk and burn off calories that way. Movement, as Kathy S. stated above, is crucial.  

I have developed the mental tools needed to do this, too.  Simply go back and revisit the instructions given to me by my surgeon during our precious few hours together.  Looking back at those visits I can hear his consistent delivery of the plan moving forward.  He was uber consistent in his instructions.  They were so very simple.  He gave me a plan where I was fairly free to be inclusive of more than I needed for variety and avoiding burnout.  Moderation could be enjoyed for a lifetime of maintenance living that I could benefit from from my 40's to my 90's if I simply did the work.

So....my plan moving forward will be to not revert to my tactics of the last 20 years....which was to follow fad diets and get short term results and long term complacency.  Nope.....done with that bullshyt.    I am simply going to work my wls and bring the Magic back and do the work and reengage discipline that came easily.  

Shopping the perimeter of the grocery stores.....meat, slight amounts of cheeses, lots of fresh green succulent greens and vegetables.....supplementing with low sugar protein powders when my tracker says I need to up the protein for that day.......simply eat foods that are healthy fuels for my current goal which is to reach my lean fighting weight that I started with as my stretch goal.  The attainable stretch goal that I've let be the elusive stretch goal, lol.

So.....back on the horse that I let throw me.  Back on in saddle.  The horse isn't so happy that his rider isn't quite as light of a load as he was.....but I'll take care to avoid asking any aggressive maneuvering from this trusty horse.   I'm simply gonna ride easy and confident and get there in short order.

I've even allowed myself to embrace a physical reward for when I reach that weight.  It's something that I've wanted for long time....a new toy of sorts.....but.....only when I reach that goal weight.  

Simple plan.

No fads.   No sads.

Nothing to it but to do it.

See ya on the perimeter of the store, at my grill or in line at your nearest salad bar selecting among the leans and greens offered there.

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

sweetsandy81671
on 2/9/17 3:22 pm - morris, IL

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this I appreciate it. I think I am just going to get back to basics and simple. Sometimes along the way we get lost and I think that is what happened. 

Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome... Beginnings are scary.. Endings are usually sad, but its the middle that counts the most. Enjoy every moment before it is too late.             
DubfromBP
on 2/9/17 8:24 pm
VSG on 10/13/15
On February 9, 2017 at 11:22 PM Pacific Time, sweetsandy81671 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this I appreciate it. I think I am just going to get back to basics and simple. Sometimes along the way we get lost and I think that is what happened. 

It is understandable and we all probably have done so to some degree or another.....

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

RNY on 12/22/14

Before you do anything, I would suggest that you track your eating and exercise for a month.  It might point out where your problem is coning from

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 6:15 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I did the Ideal Protein diet before I had my WLS. It is spendy!  3 shakes a day and a lean and green. You can do this on your own. 

Valerie G.
on 2/9/17 7:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're losing hair, how's your nutrition?  At this stage, I would be fearing malnutrition.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sweetsandy81671
on 2/9/17 3:20 pm - morris, IL

I have my blood work done and everything is fine. I just wonder if I m just on to shed hair regularly. Sometimes it is more than others.

Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome... Beginnings are scary.. Endings are usually sad, but its the middle that counts the most. Enjoy every moment before it is too late.             
Most Active