I have a question that I really need your thoughts on.

sweetsandy81671
on 2/8/17 1:25 pm - morris, IL

I have had a RNY 10 years ago.. I lost quite a bit of weight and always kept it off. About 3 years ago I was put on a med for several months that just stopped my metabolism and I gained about 25 lbs very quickly. Well I have never been able to get it off however still hovered at he same weight since then. I really want to get it off and was looking at the Pure Protein diet plan which to lose the weight quickly then go back to waht I was doing before. I am still can only eat small portions at a time and struggle with my hair staying attached to my head. I just wanted to know if anyone had done that for a short time and how it worked out for you. My Dr from day 1 wants a low carb diet but I still cant seem to get this extra lbs off and just thought I could shock myself into dropping the lbs. 

Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome... Beginnings are scary.. Endings are usually sad, but its the middle that counts the most. Enjoy every moment before it is too late.             
sweetsandy81671
on 2/8/17 1:30 pm - morris, IL

Ideal Protein Plan not Pure Protein.

Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome... Beginnings are scary.. Endings are usually sad, but its the middle that counts the most. Enjoy every moment before it is too late.             
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/17 4:59 pm

I personally would not do that. I was not familiar with the plan, so I checked some sites. 

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/ideal-protein-weight-loss -method/

Looks like  they are trying to hook people on following their plan buying their products probably for a lot of $$$.

I re-gained some and lost it by following low carb - real food diet. No alcohol, no dairy. No  grains. 

It took me a while since I was not willing to give up the grains or alcohol. ...But once I did ..The weight just fell off. 

Eating right foods and watching for total calories was my way to get to goal and below that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sweetsandy81671
on 2/9/17 3:27 pm - morris, IL

It is very expensive. 350.00 to start then 95.00 a week and supplements  monthly. I just am not sure if the supplements  are worth changing out and even if I could digest them. I use liquids now. I am just getting back to basics and doing it how I am supposed to. I think the photos, and talks just kinda convinces yu it is better. I am a little concerned on a 3 packs a day then a meal. My friend who has not had surgery  is going to try it. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/9/17 3:59 pm

I personally would not.  

I went back to basics.  Proteins and fats and some veggies... Once every 2 weeks i had my "whatever I want meal" > often - what I remembered or craved - was not really that good.  i.e. I really wanted the Red Lobster cheese rolls. Once we got there- I had a bite... and promptly spit it out (in a napkin).. it was nothing I remembered ... I had a great meal there - with shrimps and crab cake... and I had a a very small bite of dessert (that tasted soooo sweet taht I really did not want any more... )

during my normal "2 week" on plan - if i wanted something - I remembered that I can have i - just not  "that day"  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/17 6:01 pm - CA

I am 16 years out, battling regain that happened within the last 2.5 years.   I have more to lose than you, but I have gone back to basics, eating dense protein, low carb and no sugar.   I am finding that my restriction is still in tact, I am satisfied eating food that is high protein and exercising daily.  The weight is coming off.  It is slower, but it can be done.  I am already 12.5 lbs down in one month.  I am sure I will hit a plateau eventually.   But, I am happy!!! 

I would suggest steering clear of any quick methods of losing the weight as you will regain just as quickly.   Go back to tracking your foods, meal prepping and focusing on the dense proteins to keep you satisfied.  

I keep my calories at about 925-950, but adjust them as needed.  Steer clear of carbs and sugar and you will lose, no doubt about it.   

Good luck

Nik

sweetsandy81671
on 2/9/17 3:28 pm - morris, IL

Thanks! That is what I have decided!

White Dove
on 2/8/17 2:04 pm - Warren, OH

I will be 10 years in October.  The only way I can lose is to count calories.  If I stay at 500 a day under what I need, I drop a pound a week.  It would take 25 weeks for me to lose 25 pounds. 

It does not make a lot of difference whether it is all protein or not.  What Dr. Atkins taught is that a high protein diet gives a 10% advantage.  So if you were to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks counting calories, then you would have lost 11 pounds if you followed high protein.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathy S.
on 2/8/17 2:07 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi sweetsandy

While the meds may be a factor, let's talk like they are not....  Myself and my mentor from 2004 are both back on track after putting on some regain.  We both are amazed how we are losing and doing GREAT!  We got back to the basics and moving.  BTW, we both are old farts so our metabolism is in the toilet.  Low carb, high protein and back to the basics. Here is the list that helped me.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits. 

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

sweetsandy81671
on 2/9/17 3:36 pm - morris, IL

Thank you for responding! I have decided to take a step back and get back to basics. I think that is just what I need to do. 

Most Active