HIDA Scan Consideration

tvlbunny
on 2/8/17 10:41 am
RNY on 12/07/16

so I had a HIDA scan today to look at my gallbladder.  A portion of the way through the process you have to drink a high fat drink while they take pictures of your gallbladder to see how it reacts.  Well.....there are 400 calories in said high fat drink!  Had I not already been 60 minutes into the process I may have asked my doctor for another option.  The tech was considerably less than amused with me when I told him that was almost my whole daily calorie allotment and that I wasn't going to drink it.  I, of course, drank it but I'm not happy that I don't get to eat today. And just so you know, they don't have lower calorie options, I asked.  There are many tests a doctor can do to assess your gallbladder.  Maybe one of the others can be considered.  

CC C.
on 2/8/17 11:45 am, edited 2/8/17 3:45 am

One day with 400 extra calories from a mandatory procedure related drink isn't going to set you on the path to destruction. If I were you, I'd eat what I planned to eat. 

-Flo-
on 2/8/17 2:16 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Relax, in the grand scheme of things 400 calories from a medically needed test is not the end of the world. Please eat today, you are setting yourself up for bigger problems down the road if you are so rigid with the rules. Life is not black and white, we have to learn to live in the gray. 

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 2/9/17 2:28 pm

Let's parse this.

An extra 400 calories in one day out of all the years left in your lifetime.  

You are given to self-imposed starvation and misery.

What do you make of that? 

The good news is that, if your gallbladder has to go, you'll lose about two ounces.  How grand is that?

Most Active