My Big Fat Fabulous Life! Spoiler Alert! Take 2

Nura777
on 2/8/17 10:21 am

Your an awesome person Kathy! Her parents are cool.

Kathy S.
on 2/8/17 10:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Nura777

Both of mine are gone and I just love the way they care and love her.  That being said it's a southern thing the way we get into everyone's business....  The parents don't know boundaries and they crack me up.  

OMG when her Mom talks sex to her I just want to hug her while I am laughing my butt off.  A southern lady doesn't do that, she is so COOL!  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/8/17 10:16 am

I've seen the show twice, and she strikes me as very unhappy. She is frenetically trying to convince herself and us she is happy, but she isn't.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Pond Jumper
on 2/8/17 11:01 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 07/10/17
On February 8, 2017 at 6:16 PM Pacific Time, Oxford Comma Kate, Hag wrote:

I've seen the show twice, and she strikes me as very unhappy. She is frenetically trying to convince herself and us she is happy, but she isn't.

Similar here, I caught it whilst flicking through and she couldn't dance because she had some injury, it stands to reason that all the extra weight is going to put unavoidable stress and damage on certain joints.

It didn't look so fabulous to me.

Referral to CABSC: Aug 2016 (weight 267.4lbs) Orientation (Online): Sept 2016 Intake Assessment: Oct 2016 Nutritionist: Nov 2016 Psych: Dec 2016 Nutritionist: Jan 2017 Surgery Info Class: Feb 2017 Nurse Practitioner: Feb 2017 Meet the Surgeon: Mar 2017 (weight 225lbs) Surgery Prep Class: April 2017 Nurse Practitioner Check in: May 2017 (weight 221lbs) Endoscope: May17th 2017 Surgery: July 10th 2017

Pre-op: 52lbs; Post-op: M1: 14lbs, M2: 10lbs, M3: 5lbs, M4: 6lbs, M5: 2lbs (stall), M6: 4lbs, M7: 5lbs, M8:6lbs, M9:5lbs, M10:4lbs, M11:4lbs

Nura777
on 2/8/17 10:32 am

Folks let's all take a step of the ledge! Kathy and I are good. She's a lovely soul and I was curious. So all done and well.

Donna L.
on 2/8/17 10:46 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am all for fat acceptance.  I think no one should be shamed or prejudiced against due to their appearance.

Where I have an issue with it is when obesity impairs function and health.  There is a point when extra weight impacts our body and physiology, and it is dangerous to continue down this road.  It is no less healthy than a type 2 diabetic eating extra candy and injecting insulin to counteract it "because they can," or someone who drinks heavily and is slowly destroying their liver.

Obesity is a disorder caused by hormonal dysregulation and behavioral maladaption to stimuli.  I have never seen an individual, outside of people with Prader Willi syndrome, who become obese just because of a biological quirk or genetics.  We become obese because the above factors drive us to overconsumption (to degrees that vary for each individual).

I don't know much about Whitney other than that I hope she is happy.  I accept it at face value that she must be, because I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  Hopefully things will work out for her :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Kathy S.
on 2/8/17 11:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Well said Donna L                                      

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Gwen M.
on 2/8/17 11:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well said.  

Although I think fat "kindness" is still necessary then (which I know you agree with).  So often people are shamed for being fat "for their health" with no acknowledgment of their mental health.  Ugh.  :/  

The one problem I do have with fat acceptance is when it crosses the line to "I'm okay with you being fat, so you should be too."  Just as people shouldn't be shamed for being fat, people shouldn't be shamed for wanting to NOT be fat.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 2/8/17 11:26 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
On February 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

Well said.  

Although I think fat "kindness" is still necessary then (which I know you agree with).  So often people are shamed for being fat "for their health" with no acknowledgment of their mental health.  Ugh.  :/  

The one problem I do have with fat acceptance is when it crosses the line to "I'm okay with you being fat, so you should be too."  Just as people shouldn't be shamed for being fat, people shouldn't be shamed for wanting to NOT be fat.  

Kindness is always mandatory.  If someone winds up being an unredeemable tool after I give you a compassionate/kind shot, then you get less, but most often those people are not obese >.>  Compassion is always mandatory for everyone for me - of course, I am a secular Buddhist.

I absolutely think fat acceptance is important, especially with how we get treated.  I was treated very poorly by providers 10 years ago even though I was trying to lose weight.  I remember that now and use it.  Everyone is in a different place, and even if you need to challenge someone, there is a compassionate way to do it.

I left the fat acceptance movement because I was actively shamed for my weight loss.  I like "body positivism" better in general, as we should all be positive about our bodies even when we want to, or need to, change them.  That goes for the obese, athletes, cancer patients, the disabled, people recovering from eating disorders, typical weight women, men of all sizes.  We should all be able to be proud and positive of our body.

I am very proud of my body.  I still want to work on changing it for the better!  

These are not mutually exclusive.  I have been shamed by people for getting WLS.  If someone doesn't want it that is their choice.  I cannot make their decision

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

theAntiChick
on 2/9/17 9:42 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

This.  I wrote a long blog entry about my thoughts and struggles between HAES/FA and WLS.

http://www.theantichick.com/2016/10/19/cognitive-dissonance/

My therapist had challenged me before I had the surgery to think about my beliefs about obesity and health.  It's complicated, especially because as a nurse I know that at a certain point the weight itself makes a person unhealthy.  But no one should be treated badly because of their weight.  And unless I'm on the medical team for that person, their health is none of my business.  Too many people think they have the right to pass judgment on other people's health.

I love that Whitney is promoting body acceptance.  I just hope for her that she makes some positive changes related to her weight because it is adversely affecting her health whether she wants to admit it or not.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active