Peer led support group in Metro Detroit

Deanna798
on 2/6/17 10:12 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So, just last month I found a peer let support group that meets once a month in the western suburbs of Detroit.  I attended in January, and we've got another scheduled for February 11th.  If anyone in the area here is interested in joining in, please feel free to send me a message and I'll give you the info on where to sign up for it.  It's a free meeting, and it's organized by people just like you and me.   

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Eggface
on 2/6/17 3:58 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

How fun... I have been tempted over the years to start one in my neck of the woods...  if anything to share resources, protein we didn't love, swap recipes. Just an idea... maybe add your group to some local event calendars in your area... Obesity Action Coalition also has a list they keep if the group isn't on it tell them to let them know http://www.obesityaction.org/advocacy/support-groups 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Deanna798
on 2/6/17 4:18 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

It's actually set up through meetup.com, so there is some visibility.  This will be the 3rd meeting.  I missed the first in early December,  and the second one there were 4 of us.  This one we have 7 people signed up.  

Doing a clothing swap and a bariatric friendly potluck. 

You really should organize one near you.  I think it's a great way to meet people who get it.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Eggface
on 2/7/17 8:24 am, edited 2/7/17 12:24 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I did 1 once... it was my 5th year surgiversary and instead of a fancy purse which was my non food reward up till then (I hadn't used the 4th year one yet) I decided to throw a meet & greet... it was awesome http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/08/5037- pounds-lost-with-weight-loss.html  but it was quite an undertaking so a monthly informal or maybe 4 times a year or something might be more doable... but yes made lifelong pals.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active