Praying I will find a way to get WLS!

AggieMae
on 2/3/17 7:04 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

So interesting that you mentioned this. These laws will likely change  with the pending  GOP "health care reforms" because in this administration reform= less coverage... don't even get me started on insurance companies no longer being required to accept pre existing conditions... 

MadisonRose
on 2/4/17 11:29 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On February 4, 2017 at 3:04 AM Pacific Time, AggieMae wrote:

So interesting that you mentioned this. These laws will likely change  with the pending  GOP "health care reforms" because in this administration reform= less coverage... don't even get me started on insurance companies no longer being required to accept pre existing conditions... 

Ugh... I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this.  

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/4/17 10:01 am
These may be a long shots, but try these:

If you are working and have a disability, you may qualify for Medicaid buy-in. It's income dependent (and you must have a disability) All disabilities would count (physical, mental health, etc)

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/program/buy_in/docs/working_people_with_disabilities.pdf

If you are working and your weight or a comorbidity is preventing you from making a competitive wage for your job or from working as many hours as you can, or you may not be able to keep up with your current pace because of your weight:

http://www.acces.nysed.gov/vr/vocational-rehabilitation-services

SO This is more of a long shot, BUT they do provide physical restoration- weight loss typically improved physical functioning-which would make you able to work more/longer hours, etc.

A lady from a state down south about 10 years ago (can't remember which state) had her rehab agency pay for a RNY. It took a long time and she had to jump through a few hoops, but it worked.
MadisonRose
on 2/4/17 11:33 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On February 4, 2017 at 6:01 PM Pacific Time, Beam me up Scottie wrote:
These may be a long shots, but try these:

If you are working and have a disability, you may qualify for Medicaid buy-in. It's income dependent (and you must have a disability) All disabilities would count (physical, mental health, etc)

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/program/buy_in/docs/working_people_with_disabilities.pdf

If you are working and your weight or a comorbidity is preventing you from making a competitive wage for your job or from working as many hours as you can, or you may not be able to keep up with your current pace because of your weight:

http://www.acces.nysed.gov/vr/vocational-rehabilitation-services

SO This is more of a long shot, BUT they do provide physical restoration- weight loss typically improved physical functioning-which would make you able to work more/longer hours, etc.

A lady from a state down south about 10 years ago (can't remember which state) had her rehab agency pay for a RNY. It took a long time and she had to jump through a few hoops, but it worked.

Hmm...does having MS count as a disability?  Thank you!  I will definitely look into this!

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/5/17 11:06 am
Yes, most certainly. Especially if you go to rehabiliation agency and say that if you lost weight you'd be able to "continue" working, but with your MS and obesity that it may be hard.

MS is a disability and as you know it's generally (but not always) progressive. Keeping you in the workforce as long as possible is the best way for you to keep paying taxes- but with MS and obesity that can be hard!
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/17 8:33 am

Here's my suggestion:  Most insurance companies will cover WLS if you have a medical reason to have it that they understand.  Talk to your general doctor and get a referral to a great WLS surgeon.  The surgeon only gets paid if they find a way to make it happen.  Ask their staff how to make it happen.  Sometimes it takes 6 months of meeting with your general doctor in order to try other diets so that your doctor can document that surgery is the only option.  Honestly, my insurance is saving a fortune since my surgery!

No more pain pills (prescription)

No more blood pressure meds

80% less insulin (I'm type 1).  Other related meds gone.

No more cholesterol meds (soon, already half)

far less medical conditions for the rest of my life!

Most Active