Praying I will find a way to get WLS!

MadisonRose
on 2/2/17 7:46 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On February 3, 2017 at 3:24 AM Pacific Time, AggieMae wrote:

The problem probably isn't your insurance company, it's your policy.

Ask your employer to upgrade the a policy that covers WLS.  If there are other people at your job who also want it you can negotiate to pay the difference in cost. For some plans this is low as insurance companies know that paying for WLS saves them money in the long run.

Hmmm...interesting.  I'll have to look into that.  I'm honestly a big dummy when it comes to understanding insurance.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/3/17 9:12 am, edited 2/3/17 1:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Please stop saying such mean things about yourself.  

You aren't ugly.  You aren't a "big dummy."  And, a lot of fat people are very pretty.  Not every fat person -- but not every thin person is pretty, either.   I was pretty when I was fat.  I bet you are pretty, too.

Most people don't understand a lot about insurance.  If you haven't done something before, it's NEW to you.  That doesn't make you a dummy.

If you say those things about yourself -- to yourself -- you will begin to believe them.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MadisonRose
on 2/4/17 10:52 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On February 3, 2017 at 5:12 PM Pacific Time, Kat W. wrote:

Please stop saying such mean things about yourself.  

You aren't ugly.  You aren't a "big dummy."  And, a lot of fat people are very pretty.  Not every fat person -- but not every thin person is pretty, either.   I was pretty when I was fat.  I bet you are pretty, too.

Most people don't understand a lot about insurance.  If you haven't done something before, it's NEW to you.  That doesn't make you a dummy.

If you say those things about yourself -- to yourself -- you will begin to believe them.  

I'm sorry...bad choice of words.  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I've seen many beautiful heavier women.  I believe everyone is beautiful in their own unique way.  I've just had some difficulty seeing myself that way in that light.  I know it's most likely from my poor self esteem and I really don't want to think this way forever. I'm sure I could benefit from some counseling.  Thank you so much for your advice and kind words.

Donna L.
on 2/3/17 10:50 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You aren't a dummy at all.  Those of us who work for insurance companies daily still struggle with them, heh.  They are intricate, annoying, and make things difficult to find!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/4/17 5:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Yep! I've worked for an insurance company for 40 years. Even their attorneys struggle with interpreting policy language!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

MadisonRose
on 2/4/17 11:36 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On February 4, 2017 at 1:00 PM Pacific Time, LizJustWantsHealth wrote:

Yep! I've worked for an insurance company for 40 years. Even their attorneys struggle with interpreting policy language!

Good to know I'm not the only one!

MadisonRose
on 2/4/17 10:55 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On February 3, 2017 at 6:50 PM Pacific Time, Donna L. wrote:

You aren't a dummy at all.  Those of us who work for insurance companies daily still struggle with them, heh.  They are intricate, annoying, and make things difficult to find!

Aww thank you.  That's good to know! 

reree6898
on 2/3/17 4:21 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

All the advise you have already been given is good and same as what I would say to you. So, all I will add is don't give up hope.  I was in the same place with things where I had no insurance coverage for surgery and living paycheck to paycheck for many years.  Then I changed jobs a few years ago and found out it would be covered so I was sleeved in September 2015.  All the wait was worth it because I kept making small changes to still try to chip away at things and had lost 50 lbs by the time I had surgery.  Try to make a small change here and there so that the change becomes your habit over time.  For example for me I gave up all caffeine in 2012 so that meant no more sodas and that became habit so then when I got to have my surgery I was long past the caffeine withdrawals and it was easier on me.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

MadisonRose
on 2/4/17 11:00 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On February 3, 2017 at 12:21 PM Pacific Time, reree6898 wrote:

All the advise you have already been given is good and same as what I would say to you. So, all I will add is don't give up hope.  I was in the same place with things where I had no insurance coverage for surgery and living paycheck to paycheck for many years.  Then I changed jobs a few years ago and found out it would be covered so I was sleeved in September 2015.  All the wait was worth it because I kept making small changes to still try to chip away at things and had lost 50 lbs by the time I had surgery.  Try to make a small change here and there so that the change becomes your habit over time.  For example for me I gave up all caffeine in 2012 so that meant no more sodas and that became habit so then when I got to have my surgery I was long past the caffeine withdrawals and it was easier on me.

Thank you!  It's good to know there is hope.  I'm glad you didn't give up.  I agree that making small changes now will be beneficial.  Great advice!

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/17 5:15 am, edited 2/2/17 10:19 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I would like to offer you some encouragement here, although I don't have much in the way of helping you with surgery. As has been mentioned, surgery is a tool. Right now you are in a spot where you don't know if that tool will be available to you. While it is well and good to continue to try and acquire that tool, consider the following.

You already have some other tools available to you, and you can start using them right away. Indeed, for the tool of surgery to be successful for you, you need to become proficient in the use of these other tools. Editorial note: I teach people how to use woodworking tools for my living. Start with the tools you have. Learn to use them to the best of your ability. Then, you will see success. Then you will be prepared if and when surgery becomes available. 

So what tools do you have, and how do you use them? First, you have this board here, a collection of people who are at various stages of their own weight loss. Use this resource for advice, support, direction, etc. 

Second, you have access to a calorie counter. Use it. You mentioned that you would eat healthy for a week or so, and then revert. Revert back. Everyone slips up. Everyone fails at some point. It is not that a person fails. It is how they react to that failure. So when you fail, acknowledge it, and put it behind you. Start fresh again the next day. Learning to use any tool well takes time. No one just picks up a brand new tool and starts using it like a pro right off the bat. I know that from over 20 years of teaching, and even more years of making my own mistakes. Don't drop down to a privation level right off the bat.  Eat a little less. Change the type of food you eat gradually.  Give your body time to adjust to the changes.  You may be surprised at how well you do.

Third, you have access to exercise. You don't have to join a gym or spend lots of money. Get up. Move around. Go for a walk. Clean the house. All these are free, and you can increase the amount of what you do slowly instead of trying to prep for the Olympics by next week (that is often our mindset, isn't it?).

All these things have to happen before surgery anyway, if you want it to be successful. So start working to that goal. And if for some reason surgery continues to evade you, you still will have made positive choices and efforts that will improve your life. Good luck with it, and check back here often for help and support. 

Most Active