Let's talk regain, share and prevent despair!

Kathy S.
on 2/2/17 9:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It can happen to any of us no matter how well we are prepared and have it together.  I thought it would help if we all shared our thoughts and suggestions for pre-op, post-op and beyond.  For me, fear kept me in line.  Fear of, if this does not work then I have ran out of options and I will die.  Be prepared, research, have a plan going into surgery.  Know exactly what you need to do to succeed and above all else, deal with your head issues.  YOU HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT BETWEEN THE EARS BEFORE YOU RE-ARRANGE YOUR PLUMBING.

I see a common denominator with regain, not dealing with the head issues and life gets in the way and we get away from the basics, the rules that got us to goal and kept us there.  Use any and all tools that will help you focus again like setting goals. Start off small and work your way up.  

Click the cup/trophy icon in the upper right hand corner and set your goals!  

What works for you?  What advice would you give?  Share and prevent despair!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Focused1
on 2/2/17 10:22 am

Kathy,

Thank you so much for this post. I think this is exactly what I am working tirelessly to achieve right now... Getting my mind right. It's amazing how successful we can be at ANYTHING if we have our thinking correct. I chose to start blogging, food logging, and OA every single day. That may be kind of intense for some, but I realize that food is not my problem it is my mind that is the problem and food was my solution. In order for me to fix my food addiction (and yes, it is an addiction) I have to put my all into working the steps to become healthy. I have always been overweight, I don't know what it feels like to be skinny (or at a healthy weight for my height honestly), but I finally got to a place where I started to get real with myself and stopped trying to give "half measures expecting full results". It doesn't work and it never will. I choose to love myself 100%, so I must give 100% to myself always. . . That's including dealing with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Much success and many blessings. Besos.

Kathy S.
on 2/2/17 10:57 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Besos,

Thank you for sharing and I love all your post!

I have a list of basics I have used myself and shared often (I am sure the vets are tired of seeing it) but it really hits on all the basics we get away from.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

DubfromBP
on 2/2/17 10:39 am
VSG on 10/13/15

One of the true things that I have complete and utter control over is what I chose to consume.

Nobody forced me to eat a bunch of junk food.

I chose to.

Once I embraced that simple yet tremendous concept.....once I anchored that in my beliefs.....everything fell into place.

The sleeve is like a parachute that catches me if and when I slip and provides me the tool to correct my course and get back on track and headed to my goal.

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

Kathy S.
on 2/2/17 10:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Great observation DubfromBP  Thanks for sharing

reree6898
on 2/2/17 2:07 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

For me I have to log every bite I put in my mouth so that even if I let myself have a rare treat I am still holding myself accountable for it. I also have blogged about my experiences and check in here a few times a day. I also know some people don't think this is a good idea but I weigh myself every single morning because for me there were many years that I didn't even own a scale and had no idea what I weighed and that is partly how I ended up 376 lbs because I didn't monitor myself. 

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Kathy S.
on 2/2/17 2:34 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You are doing what works for you and that is all that matters. Great job

Tammy H.
on 2/3/17 2:08 am - Greenville, OH

I've found that if I make out a grocery list of just healthy foods, it helps me a lot...Also, when I make out a weekly menu chart, that helps as well...This way I can plan ahead for what grocery items I will need, plus it stops me from waiting until the last minute to prepare a meal...It helps me to take a friend or family member along with me to the grocery, letting them know that I need to stick to my list...I also ask them to stop me in my tracks if I reach for junk...Most of the time if I don't plan ahead I tend to eat something quick, easy, processed, high in fats and carbs...Or I say to heck with it and run to a fast food joint...It also helps when I set a certain time for my meals, and snacks...Eating breaking is very important, so take the time to have something healthy to start out your day...I am going to take the advice from another post about taking time to do a journal...Its awesome to be able to come here for support.

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

reree6898
on 2/3/17 6:12 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Yes, planning for the grocery store is a great help.  I have to make a list or it becomes too easy to put anything in the buggy.  Also, I never go to the grocery store when I am hungry or else everything looks too good and it will end up going home with me. 

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

DubfromBP
on 2/3/17 3:06 pm
VSG on 10/13/15
On February 3, 2017 at 2:12 PM Pacific Time, reree6898 wrote:

Yes, planning for the grocery store is a great help.  I have to make a list or it becomes too easy to put anything in the buggy.  Also, I never go to the grocery store when I am hungry or else everything looks too good and it will end up going home with me. 

Just go when horny.  

That's my grocery store shopping method.

That and simply sticking to the perimeter.  I only venture down the aisles to grab specific items.......like Splenda, spices and hot sauce......and Duke's mayo.

Outside of that.....I'm the dude cruising the perimeter.

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

Most Active